Engine undercover (FSM) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody have a pic of there engine undercover(front skidplate)
my 91fj80 fsm said there is one but it is missing on my truck.

Thankyou

The only "cover" is a stamped plate that spans the frame rails, just behind and above the steering shock. It's about 10 inches wide.

For a while now I've been wanting to admit that I've been running without mine for years. It's hanging on a nail in my garage. just too much of an inconvenience every time I want to get to the engine from underneath.

"Hello, my name is Curtis, and..."

:) ;)

For a while now I've been wanting to admit that I've been running without mine for years. It's hanging on a nail in my garage. just too much of an inconvenience every time I want to get to the engine from underneath.

"Hello, my name is Curtis, and..."

:) ;)
*gasp*

50 lashings for you.

It may or may not enter into your particular needs, but be advised that shield may also dramatically shape engine bay airflow. One of the challenges of an automobile here is the high pressure zone that forms under the engine - it's why a lot of cars in the 60s used to lift their noses at highway speeds. It is from the airflow around an object the size and shape of an automobile. The underbelly forms are often used to shape airflow and work in concert with air drawn through the radiator to help exhaust the engine bay hot air.

DougM

It may or may not enter into your particular needs, but be advised that shield may also dramatically shape engine bay airflow. One of the challenges of an automobile here is the high pressure zone that forms under the engine - it's why a lot of cars in the 60s used to lift their noses at highway speeds. It is from the airflow around an object the size and shape of an automobile. The underbelly forms are often used to shape airflow and work in concert with air drawn through the radiator to help exhaust the engine bay hot air.

DougM

Just my unsupported opinion but I think lift tires and bumper etc. will have a more dramatic impact than that little piece of tin has.

Mine was missing when I bought it, would really like to get it back on for peace of mind. I wonder if one can be fabbed? Curtis, can you post a pic?

DougM

Correct, it's for airflow. In this case to direct hot fan output airflow back under the truck, without it at idle more hot air is sucked back around to the front of the coolers, radiator and recirculated. In most climates it probably wouldn't be noticed much, in AZ we look for anything that will help and it's good for a couple of degrees cooler A/C vent temps, at idle when stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom