Engine trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 97 with 173k that stall last night. I was able to get it started a couple of times to limp home a few blocks. Engines been burning oil approx 1 guart in 4-500 miles. Kept up with that and had replaced exhaust from manifold out the back. At 7k after exhaust done one cat clogged and had little power blew hose off EGR valve. Mech got it replaced under warranty we know it’s from oil. I’ve been trying to limit use until I find another rig but may have run out time. Any thoughts on stalling? Happened yesterday so can’t call mech until Monday. Want to know what I’m in for hoping only have to rebuild top of engine. Thanks

It should set the check engine light CEL and throw a diagnostic trouble code DTC. The code will point you to the problem and the solution.

Sounds like a tired engine with poor oil control and lots of blow by. Time for a new one.

You may want to also plug in a diagnostic tool regardless if the CEL is coming on. Sometimes there are pending codes that haven't fired through to trigger the CEL.

That's a bunch of oil. Lots of blow-by. Stuck valve or bad piston rings? Does it smoke a lot out of the tail pipe? White smoke?

Like Pin_Head said, did it throw a CEL?

CEL been on for o2 sensors for a while. Have not checked today. Smokes a lot. Have exhaust coming inside when initially starting. Assume a cat may be clogged again.

QUOTE="Cass007, post: 11424507, member: 49650"]That's a bunch of oil. Lots of blow-by. Stuck valve or bad piston rings? Does it smoke a lot out of the tail pipe? White smoke?

Like Pin_Head said, did it throw a CEL?[/QUOTE]

If there is no piston slap more then likely you can have head rebuilt which should help with the oil consumption. If cat is plugged again that could explain stall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom