Engine ticking.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my '96 w/ 113K has a ticking (metal on metal ) sound coming from the top of the engine. The sound gets faster when i push on the gas. The sound also seems to be heard better around the exhaust manifold.

Based on my research/this forum. I THINK that my valves need to be adjusted. I dont think the PO ever had any major work done on the LC...so, i doubt they had the valves adjusted.

-what is an approx cost of this repair?
-are there any other possible causes of this ticking??
-is there an easy way for me to confirm what the sound is exactly..before i go into the shop?

Thanks..
-Joe M. -

My rig made a ticking before I tore into it. Anyway, it's easy enough to pop off the throttle body and valve cover and check the clearances on the valves. You'll need a 32mm socket to turn the crank bolt plus standard tools and a feeler gauge. Good time to pull the injectors and have them cleaned up as they are right there.

Consult repair manual for the procedure. Not difficult, but it's more of a pain to change the shims.

1 3/16 socket works great on the crank bolt. Get a 3/4" socket set (cheaper than MM if you can find one) and cut out a notch in your fan shroud for the socket wrench to turn the motor over. You first remove the skid plate.
Tap or ticking could be carbon build up. At least it is on other motors.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom