Engine temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I think im ok but just wanna throw it out there...

Im currently running a ford v8 and I was concerned about operating temps. Ive had it off road once or twice (still in rebuild) and it hovers right around 190 deg. The ford dealer says that Im not in trouble till it hits about 220 or 230.

Between city driving and offroad it still sits right at 190 but never over, didnt have it running last winter but so far the past few 70 to 80 degree days its the same temp. So I dont think weathers much of a factor yet.

Should I upgrade to a aluminum rad. for better cooling or save some money and install an electric something to drop a few deg?
OR
Leave it till i can get around to the engine rebuild then do both like I was wanting?

Peace
Neal

Heat is the worst enemy of the internal combustion engine. I would definitely look into getting the best cooling for ANY RIG I wanted to keep for the long haul.
Several other members on the board have mentioned getting good results using an electric fan from a Taurus, so I would start there.

Do a thread search on the fan. :)

Are you running a fan shroud? If not, I would suggest installing one first. You would be surprised at the dif. that can make, speaking from experience here.

190 is probably the temperature of the thermostat in the engine. If you are staying at 190 all the time then all is perfect.

If you want it cooler, get a cooler thermostat.

Yes heat is an engine killer but it won't run properly if its only running at 100 degrees either. their is an optimal engine temperature to run the truck/engine at. Sounds like you are at it and it stays their so don't worry about it till you notice it starting to creep up then you need to either get a new tranny or get yours rotted out at the radiator shop.

Stew

The Tarus fan or a V6 Contour fan works great! The Contour fan is like 2 smaller Tarus fans.

hth,

Gonna look into the tarus and contour fans. Id like to have the on/off ability of the electric for streams and real deep puddles. Ill sit on the current thermostat since the ford guy said not to worry till its around 220 or 230.
Dont have a shroud but ill probably get one of those when I install the electrics.

Thanks all
Neal

I agree with the rest that 190 is a good temp to have. Your advice about the temperature is correct. If it's over 220 then there is a big problem and you should consider upgrading to a larger radiator with an electric fan but, the way that is't set-up right now sounds fine.

Try it on a hot day and watch the temp. If it doesn't change then you're good to go. Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom