Engine Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering on doing an engine swap in my 66 LV.
I've read up on some older builds on this thread and i've seen a few different options. I have some questions and any info would be greatly appreciated. I currently have a late 80s chevy 305 engine with a TH350 transmission. Goal: is to have my LV reliable enough to take it on camping trips and be able to cruise on freeway.
All is done on a budget so cheaper route is preferred.

V8 or V6?
I would love to put a Toyota engine in but which one?
Would i have to get a new transmission if i put a Toyota engine in?
Also considering putting a chevy 350 in..thoughts?
general cost of a used Toyota engine and where to find one?

It doesn't get any easier or more reliable than a small block Chevy. You can source parts at any auto store across the country. A 305 is not the most desirable, but still has plenty of power. What is your issues right now? You can get a brand new crate 350 from summit for 2k. Have never had any issues over the years with these simple plug and play engines.

Interested in this also. I’ll be following. PO put a 305 in my ‘72 FJ40. I never really liked it because it wasn’t Toyota. I was going to yank it out, but a friend of mine who is a GM guy stressed the reliability of it and like said above parts availability too. I just bought an lv without an engine so I’ll be contemplating what to put in it.

I am not sure if this is old news but Japans' policy pretty much promotes getting a new car vs. keeping an old one. It is not like most states here where it is less expensive to keep an old one. They do this to promote the newer safety items along with emissions and want the older ones off the road. This means a LOT of low mileage engines always.

No, if you want to swap back to a 6, plan on a full drivetrain swap, driveshafts, clutch, etc I like both Chevy and Toyota, just depends on the use of the vehicle.

I’m very partial to the 2F myself but @whitey45 makes some very good points. For the trucks value I think sticking with a Toyota straight 6 is the way to go. But for parts etc true that a Chevy may be better if you want this to be your DD.

If budget is a big concern I’m not sure going back to Toyota is viable.

Sure you MIGHT find a good deal on a 2F 4 speed combo but all the other stuff will add up quickly. And motor mount changes, etc will not be cheap unless you can do most of that yourself or with some buddies.

If budget was no option I’d say do what you please but you’re probably better off sticking with an SBC.

I’ve got a 2F in my ‘77 fj40. It runs great but unfortunately with these engines mpg aren’t great. Knowing that I’m hoping to somehow go Toyota diesel with my lv...maybe

We are installing a 1HD-FT into one here at the shop. Could always go that option and it will still remain all Toyota. the 12HT, 1HD-T are good motors that are becoming a little more accessible.

If you want to keep it gas and Toyota it might be worth going with the 3FE or even better would be a 1FZ-FE.

Best bang for the buck I feel would be an LS motor though.

Considering on doing an engine swap in my 66 LV.
I've read up on some older builds on this thread and i've seen a few different options. I have some questions and any info would be greatly appreciated. I currently have a late 80s chevy 305 engine with a TH350 transmission. Goal: is to have my LV reliable enough to take it on camping trips and be able to cruise on freeway.
All is done on a budget so cheaper route is preferred.

V8 or V6?
I would love to put a Toyota engine in but which one?
Would i have to get a new transmission if i put a Toyota engine in?
Also considering putting a chevy 350 in..thoughts?
general cost of a used Toyota engine and where to find one?

Since it has already been swapped out, unless you spend a ton of money, putting it back Toyota is likely not an option.

Get a Holly Sniper Kit and rock that 305.

I was in the same boat with my LV. Wanted to upgrade for better driveability and a bit more power. Looked into the Toyota route but it was easily twice the price and more of a headache when it came to wiring. Ended up going with 5.3 and 4L60e. Worked out great. She can cruise 70 mph no problem, tow a trailer, and not shake or rattle or make you deaf while doing it. Parts are literally everywhere and they are cheap. I got a used engine and trans package with 120k on them. I had the trans rebuilt and the wiring and ECM done so it was pretty much plug and play. 5 wires and it runs. I use it as a DD so this is where I wanted to go and am very pleased.

If your current power plant is still reliable, then the best option is do nothing except drive it and enjoy it. Don’t forget to post a lot of pictures of your adventures.:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom