Engine Swap Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at picking up a 1981 BJ40 with the 2B diesel engine. But there is a possibility that I may be moving to an area that diesel engines are not allowed. So my question is .....

Is there an easy gasoline engine swap for the BJ40? I've heard that if I want to swap in a gasoline engine then I will have to swap out the tranny also. Any input from you wise 40 masters out there?

This BJ40 is rust free, no dents, has a 2 inch suspension lift, Bestop Supertop and runs great. The asking price is just over $3000, I don't know much about diesel except that this is some different looking plumbing in the engine compartment and they run on diesel.

Thanks for the input.

View attachment 497597
1981 BJ40.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice looking 40 Why would you not be able to have a diesel where you may move? are Gasser fj40s hard to find where you are?
I would run the bj the way it is and sell it then buy a gasser if the move does happen. 3K seems like a smoking good price :) if it runs good and seems to have no problems I will be so jealous of your new ride.:flipoff2:There is a 79 in my town that is not quite as nice with a sbc in it and some diamond plate for $9500

I live in Japan, currently down on the island of Kyushu where there are no laws against owning a diesel powered vehicle. My move may take me up towards the Tokyo area where it is no longer legal to own a diesel powered vehicle. They passes a law about 10 years back where diesels could no longer be registered and/or operated, really sucks!! I do have a 73' FJ40 that is in almost new condition and by buying this BJ40 I wouldn't have to lift or modify my FJ in any way.

Just seems to cheap to pass up.

Yeah the price seems awesome and you can play with a modified cruiser without messing with your original. IMO it would be a lot of work to do a swap and a shame do it if everything works right now.

The input shaft on a diesel transmission is longer than a Gasser's... You'll need to swap it or the whole trans. If you got a 2F, belhousing, and motor mounts, it would be relatively straightforward... :D
Do you have a four or five speed?
The easiest, in these parts, is to find a 60 that's rusted out as a Donor.

Check the laws in the area regarding the registration, and what emissions stuff would be needed to make if insurable. In CA, for example, it's very tough to insure a modified vehicle.

So is a FJ40 input shaft a direct swap fot the BJ40 input shaft? I know pull the shaft is a pain, but much easier and cheaper then replacing the whole thing.

niiiiiiiice wagon - s***e predicament though to have to turn that sort of an opportunity down!!!

Last edited:
Hopefully someone can clarify for me if the B series input shaft and F series input shafts are interchangable or not. I'm still hopeful that it can be done.

And yes it's a 4 speed. Regardless I think I'm going to pick this BJ40 up, just to good of a deal to pass on.

Hopefully someone can clarify for me if the B series input shaft and F series input shafts are interchangable or not. I'm still hopeful that it can be done.

And yes it's a 4 speed. Regardless I think I'm going to pick this BJ40 up, just to good of a deal to pass on.

You can swap the input shafts between the B series, F/H series, and other series. It should be about the same as rebuilding the transmission, as the input shaft is literally the last thing to remove.

The thread linked below talks about it a bit. But basically, yes, you can change input shafts.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom