Engine swap choices or rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to pick the collective brain and experience out there, my engine has been poorly maintained by the previous owner and I will need to either rebuild or swap for ease of mind and to correct the current symptoms:
  • Low oil pressure,
  • Clicking sound from the lower engine part (piston bearing shells and / or crankshaft)
  • Oil consumption
  • Black smoke
I am at a cross road, I am far more familiar with petrol engines and love the 1FZ-FE, we do have 2 variants in Egypt the 1FZ-FE with one ignition coil (injection) and one with 3 ignition coils (Injection) which is was introduced in 1998 in the 100 model.
I have zero experience with diesel and although a lot of friends do recommended and swear by it I am still a bit inclined to got petrol.

So long story and my question (finally) has any one swamped their 1FZ-FE with the 100 series variant and if so any noticable gain in power and fuel consumption?

I guess not a lot of those variants around .... so any takers ?

State side you could take an engine from a later model 80 and get it to work in your early model 80. The biggest difference is the sensors and wire harness. But as long as you swap the sensors from the early model motor over to the new one and use the existing harness you should be fine.

There is a gentleman here on the forum that did the distributor less head on his 80 and is making tons of power. But he is on a fully built turbo motor.

Research the cost of a rebuild vs doing a LS (GM) motor swap. GM V8 swap read through this post and see what is more beneficial to you.

Domestic V8 swap may or may not be as viable in Egypt

Not many stateside have done this swap to the distributor less coil pack setup.

Frank with LCH imported and started documenting but he lives more in the instagram world where pretty pics rule over tech

@audi2nr did this swap but was much more involved than just a swap

Mosley has one going in but again not just a swap. Going in a 45 with a sniper so not apples to apples.

If you like the 1FZ and feel more comfortable maintaining it down the road stick with it. We all have diesel envy in NA so many will probably say swap over. But swaps like that are always more work than they initially appear.

I had to make a similar decision a couple years ago and decided to keep mine (rebuild) and add a turbo over a GM swap stateside. No regrets yet.

If you like the 1FZ and feel more comfortable maintaining it down the road stick with it. We all have diesel envy in NA so many will probably say swap over. But swaps like that are always more work than they initially appear.

I had to make a similar decision a couple years ago and decided to keep mine (rebuild) and add a turbo over a GM swap stateside. No regrets yet.
This sounds extremely appealing tbh, love this idea. Do you have a thread or more info on this process ? I do have friends who are well versed in tuning and turbos.

State side you could take an engine from a later model 80 and get it to work in your early model 80. The biggest difference is the sensors and wire harness. But as long as you swap the sensors from the early model motor over to the new one and use the existing harness you should be fine.

There is a gentleman here on the forum that did the distributor less head on his 80 and is making tons of power. But he is on a fully built turbo motor.

Research the cost of a rebuild vs doing a LS (GM) motor swap. GM V8 swap read through this post and see what is more beneficial to you.

Well i have a pre OBD2 car so a best case scenario for turbo would be to upgrade the ecu and motor else it becomes more complicated (as far as i understood).

I did read the GM swaps but its so not common here it would be far easier to get a Toyota v8 just for the parts and local expertise.

Domestic V8 swap may or may not be as viable in Egypt

Not many stateside have done this swap to the distributor less coil pack setup.

Frank with LCH imported and started documenting but he lives more in the instagram world where pretty pics rule over tech

@audi2nr did this swap but was much more involved than just a swap

Mosley has one going in but again not just a swap. Going in a 45 with a sniper so not apples to apples.

I guess first thing is to take apart the engine and see what I am dealing with then a cost / benefit look at rebuild and swap.
Then a turbo / supercharge setup idea sounds very appealing XD

The other thing to consider is your rigs past.

IIRC it was a Diesel and now a 1fz correct?

Obv they moved over the harness or enough to make it run so not sure what all is there or may be missing. A 1fz replacement would likely be easiest.

The other thing to consider is your rigs past.

IIRC it was a Diesel and now a 1fz correct?

Obv they moved over the harness or enough to make it run so not sure what all is there or may be missing. A 1fz replacement would likely be easiest.
The rig is so out of standard i can't really tell, but everything has been moved from diesel to petrol.
At some point i will have replace the current mess

I guess not a lot of those variants around .... so any takers ?
The revised version of the 1fz motor was never offered in the USA. I have seen this idea discussed in some Australian forums where the did have both motors.

The revised version of the 1fz motor was never offered in the USA. I have seen this idea discussed in some Australian forums where the did have both motors.
I guess 100 and 105 came with the v8 or diesel then?

Screenshot_20221229_054250_Chrome.jpg

Well lots of input from 80 users locally, every one steered me well away from Turbo's keeping in mind 80's here are used extensively for off-roading in the desert so all advice is based on reliability. Anything i have to import with no availability isnot adviced.

So either a short block, rebuild, used 105 1fz engine, maybe a supercharger or a change to diesele engine (very expensive compared to other options)

To my surprise the 100 1fz fe engine is quite a lot stronger than the 80 1fz fe.
241 vs 212 hp
410 vs 373 nm

The engine was fitted to cars as new as 2007 means i could find low milage ones.

IMG-20230110-WA0034.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom