Engine swap beaten to death.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, been a mud member since 2004 when the 60 was stock and had 48,000 Miles on the OD.
17 years later I have to make a choice. Sell said 60 which I have put nearly $100k into for pennies on the dollar and buy/ finance a Sprinter Van for $120-$160k, or drop another $30k-40k into my 60 for an engine sway and trailer so we can carry on traveling and camping across the US of A......

so the question is..... what engine? Diesel or V8? I currently have a H55h, the 60 with everything in and bolted on to her weighs 7,000 pounds, that includes the Tipui Autana 8’x6’ RTT on the INTI Roof rack.
we need the power to drive the rig, and pull a trainer which carries a kitchen, RTT, water, shower, and a motorcycle ( Ducati multi Enduro 1200)

What is our best option and at what price? Not concerned with Emissions as she is registered in VA under a company name.... will end up basing out of VA in the near future. Will need to live out of the 60 for a while with my boxer dog due to current circumstances.

Thanks much in advance.
Chris Manella
100% disabled MC Combat Veteran.

E8BC8714-3DEF-49AD-BDA1-F9CAE1F8891F.jpeg

8B0CC967-1F6F-4813-99FE-88C4DDCC13BF.jpeg

DE96C125-4631-483F-BC8A-9FD134E3E3A7.jpeg

Last edited:
gasser- 6.0 Ls

diesel - 4bt

3rd - new wife

30-40k should make a very clean professional engine swap

Basically diesels are loud and rattle lot. But they get good fuel mileage and have tons of torque. They also tend to be kind of heavy so the truck will struggle in extreme offroad situations more. If your thinking of a sprinter too than I'm guessing your not doing much difficult offroad. The more difficult offroad you do the more weight becomes a enemy. Gas is quiet, light, and drives more like a car. But uses more fuel and not as much torque. It's up two you to pick. A 6bt swap would allow you to pull anything. It's probably the route I would recommend. You will need tall differential gears with a 6bt. If you want quiet, not concerned about gas mileage as much,, but your towing a lot, I would swap in a 8.1 gas engine from a silverado. I would not get a sprinter. If you tow a trailer, you can park it somewhere as base camp and use the cruiser to drive around.

Last edited:
It’s easy to fall into the investment trap...I’ve put so much money into x how can I stop now? When in reality you should stop now, sell the 60 for what ever you can get. If it’s clean and good condition it might do well on Bringatrailer.

a 4wd sprinter these days starts around $50k? The sprinters that run in the $130k-150k I believe are the full blown campers and i think they are an over bloated gimmick designed to take your money as fast as possible. You would be better off either buying a sprinter cargo van and outfitting it yourself or even buy/build an old school bus up and sell it when you are done.

also hop on expedition ports and see what sort of expedition trucks are coming up for sale.

this place near me sources a lot of trucks too.

For your budget and use... 100% no question... 1hd turbo diesel. contact one of the many capable builders: Georg @ valley hybrids would be on very the top of my list.
This is the closest to the 'have your cake and eat it too' diesel option, IMO. I'm seriously thinking about just nursing my 2F along as many years as necessary to be able to afford one for my truck.

Toyota diesel or 2.8 Cummins crate motor.

I know nobody on this thread will be pleased with what I'm about to say - but...

Buy a different vehicle.
Either that or rebuild the 2F.
I've lived out of my 60 camping literally for years in remote places in Mexico and while the 60 is good for THAT kind of extreme living, it's not ideal for what you describe what you're doing.
Since a Sprinter is on the back of your mind, I think it's best to really rethink the entire equation.

i suggest a bit of refinement , and inded UPDATE too EFI is bad to the bones but keep it OEM toyota 100% without question

thanks for your service to our country as well ..........

chris

kindly matt :cool:

1619952206113 - Copy2.png

Get a 4WD Tundra with a topper and tow your trailer with that. I think you're asking more of a 60 than it can deliver....

OSS has this nailed with the "buy a different vehicle" suggestion.

Overlanding/car-camping is good for short periods of time (days, maybe a few weeks) and the 60 does this job well. It will get old in a hurry if this is your goal for long term living. The only caveat is if your trailer is an honest to goodness camper (which it doesn't seem to be).

If you're dead set on keeping the 60... go V8 (UZ or LS), put modern brakes up front, and add a brake controller.

Basically diesels are loud and rattle lot. But they get good fuel mileage and have tons of torque. They also tend to be kind of heavy so the truck will struggle in extreme offroad situations more. If your thinking of a sprinter too than I'm guessing your not doing much difficult offroad. The more difficult offroad you do the more weight becomes a enemy. Gas is quiet, light, and1100 pounds drives more like a car. But uses more fuel and not as much torque. It's up two you to pick. A 6bt swap would allow you to pull anything. It's probably the route I would recommend. You will need tall differential gears with a 6bt. If you want quiet, not concerned about gas mileage as much,, but your towing a lot, I would swap in a 8.1 gas engine from a silverado. I would not get a sprinter. If you tow a trailer, you can park it somewhere as base camp and use the cruiser to drive around.
Thank much. A 6bt Weighs 1100 pounds. 4bt 750 105 hp and 256 torque.
So many decisions.

It’s easy to fall into the investment trap...I’ve put so much money into x how can I stop now? When in reality you should stop now, sell the 60 for what ever you can get. If it’s clean and good condition it might do well on Bringatrailer.

a 4wd sprinter these days starts around $50k? The sprinters that run in the $130k-150k I believe are the full blown campers and i think they are an over bloated gimmick designed to take your money as fast as possible. You would be better off either buying a sprinter cargo van and outfitting it yourself or even buy/build an old school bus up and sell it when you are done.

also hop on expedition ports and see what sort of expedition trucks are coming up for sale.

this place near me sources a lot of trucks too.

Ya, it's such a difficult depiction. Keep or sell, that is the question.

5.3 or 6.0 LS
that's all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom