Engine stop-leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
I have a small weep in my rear engine seal...enough to leave it's mark on my driveway. I found a product made by Sta-bil that is for stopping leaks in diesel engines. Apparantly it "re-conditions" seals etc and stops leaks within 800kms of driving. It's also supposed to be safe with my Mobil1 15-50.

I know no bottle holds a miracle...but has anyone had experience with this stuff?

I've always had good results with Golden Eagle brand. It also 'conditions' and seals, but says also that is swells rubber back to its original shape, thus stopping leaks. Dunno if the claims are accurate, but it has always made a dramatic difference in my 'classics.' You can find it at WalMart and such like.

HTH
B

NorCalCruzr said:
I've always had good results with Golden Eagle brand. It also 'conditions' and seals, but says also that is swells rubber back to its original shape, thus stopping leaks. Dunno if the claims are accurate, but it has always made a dramatic difference in my 'classics.' You can find it at WalMart and such like.

HTH
B

That's actually where I found it too. That's where I buy my STP diesel additive by the crate.

Personally I prefer to fix the problem rather than apply a "bandaid". The seal is leaking for a reason, why not just fix it right? It could have a small bit of grit that's wearing a groove, it could be tearing, could be many reasons.
There are issues that I've heard of with the stop leak type products regarding plugging smaller oil passages as well and THAT'S not good.

NorCalCruzr said:
You can find it at WalMart and such like.

Why canadian buy at WalMart when same stuff can be buy at... for exemple... CanadianTire ?

Chit-Chat... I know ;)

cruiser_guy said:
Personally I prefer to fix the problem rather than apply a "bandaid". The seal is leaking for a reason, why not just fix it right? It could have a small bit of grit that's wearing a groove, it could be tearing, could be many reasons.
There are issues that I've heard of with the stop leak type products regarding plugging smaller oil passages as well and THAT'S not good.

I agree completely, I'm just trying to get to the point where I can justify the expense of yanking the transmission...like when the clutch needs replacing. I also have zero money right now...student/

Island Moose said:
I agree completely, I'm just trying to get to the point where I can justify the expense of yanking the transmission...like when the clutch needs replacing. I also have zero money right now...student/

In that case, if it is a small leak just keep the oil topped up till you can repair but don't wait till the shaft is grooved. I wouldn't put a "stop seal" type product in my truck.

lowenbrau said:
I agree with respect to the stop leaks. Coolant ones are the worst. Just fix the problem or monitor the symptoms until you can.

I wasn't sure if you were joking about the STP stuff Moose?

Nope, I use STP diesel conditioner, little blue bottles.

The Stop Leak stuff is unlikely to clog any oil ports, it's about the same viscosity of oil itself. In any case, I'll start saving up $$ to get the trany pulled and that darn seal replaced.

Island Moose said:
Nope, I use STP diesel conditioner, little blue bottles.

The Stop Leak stuff is unlikely to clog any oil ports, it's about the same viscosity of oil itself. In any case, I'll start saving up $$ to get the trany pulled and that darn seal replaced.

stop leak just has an additive that swells the rubber.

try putting an oring into acetone, or ketone, they balloon up.

coolant stop leak is different, its kinda like pepper, it just goes in an makes slushy compund that fills leaks.

tranny stop leak is the same as engine stop leak, just swells the rubber.

cleaner or oil conditioner for your engine oil, may stir up something that could plug an orfice. If the sludge is stuck, leave it stuck or pull the pan and clean....

I doubt the stop leak works for long. chemical reaction on rubber needs to be there constant, if you remove the chemical they can return to normal size.

Now the additive that restores power, I would stay away from. it puts strange coatings on cylinders and what not.

opinions, like asses, every one has one, And we come here to view them.

I say dump it in, tomorrow I might change my mind tho.

Cheers :beer:

brownbear said:
coolant stop leak is different, its kinda like pepper, it just goes in an makes slushy compund that fills leaks.

I've heard some say that stop leak in the coolant can plug up the heater core?

Hawke said:
I've heard some say that stop leak in the coolant can plug up the heater core?

ya I'd stay away from it, unless you had a leak on were miles from home,

then anything goes. but I would do a repair and flush and fill after.

maybe it is a good thing to keep in a trail kit.

the biggest problem with coolant stop leak is the lack of following the instructions. some people just start the vehicle, dump the stuff in and when the leak stops they just shut the engine down. this cause the stuff to "pool" in the area of least amount of movement which is usually the heater cores. you are to take the truck for a good run and then the stuff will be spread out according to the manufacturers design.

i have heard from a reliable source the big 3 has been using this stuff for years in brand new engines to stop minor leaks ..
i have no proof though.

this being said, i am not a big fan of using the stuff unless in an emergency...
cheers

there is most likely a more permant fix, right infront of you!

I'm wondering about my heater core, I get a wiff of coolent everyone once an a while, it doesn't seem to be loosing any though, how much are they and how hard t replace? Also does a pressure test work for telling you it is good or bad?

TOTAL PITA

not cheap either
contact ENS for a heater system take out, they are brand new and cheaper...

I would never use coolant stop leak however I have never had any problems with engine stop leak - I actually use it as a matter of course in the engine along with Stop smoke.

I use Wynns stuff myself and have used it in numerous engines without any adverse effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom