Engine Side Covers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking of replacing the gaskets for the side engine covers.
My question is what is behind the covers? Is there something I should watch out for when I remove these covers?

The lifters are installed through the side cover; you'll see the lifters in the "floor" of the chamber behind there, and the pushrods heading up through the "ceiling". Thats all thats back there.

EDIT: whoops, you're asking about the 6 cylinder. That ^^ accounts for one side, I don't know whats on the other side...

Last edited:
side covers

If they are leaking , tighten all the bolts about 1/ 3 turn .I replaced the gasket on my 3b with toyota genuine cork gasket and it still leaks,even though I know I sealed it well,and tightened it carefully.

If they are leaking , tighten all the bolts about 1/ 3 turn .I replaced the gasket on my 3b with toyota genuine cork gasket and it still leaks,even though I know I sealed it well,and tightened it carefully.

I skipped the gasket all together, just used a bunch of Ultra Black RTV. No leaks.

side covers

That is what I originally thought of doing -heavy bead of rtv /sealer ,but I decided to use gasket , maybe I will redo it your way??

side cover

Anyone see drama coming if I make a new side cover (3B) out of 1/4" alloy plate, annodize and run a vent tube straight up to the intake (post filter)? I am TIRED of the leak and I want to build a plate that will not flex.

Thanks for the input.

Justin

Justin,
I am gonna use .250 cold rolled steel, the expansion of the steel will be closer to the expansion rates of the cast iron block, rather than aluminum, which expands quite a bit more than the steel. But I think anything would be better than the stamped POS that is stock!
eric

Good point. However the thermo neck looks alloy. Am I comparing apples to oranges?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom