engine runs strong, won't start cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week I had a 2.5" flowmaster 40 series cat-back installed, gutted the cat, and retorqued all the exhaust/intake manifold bolts. Once I let her cool down overnight, i went to start her up, she didn't want to start. Usually I could just pump the gas twice, pull the choke out and she would come to life right away, but now pumping the gas and pulling the choke doesn't start her and it takes a lot of cranking to get her to start. I decided to adjust my carb using the lean drop method to see if that helped. Unfortunately it didn't. Once she starts she will idle very well, right at 650, and drives better than before, smoother power through acceleration, but just doesn't want to start cold. I am at around 5000 ft, so I'm not sure if that now has something to do with it since I don't have my restrictive cat or holy exhaust anymore. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

the choke cable is connected, didn't slip, and the high idle is also adjusted correctly.

the choke cable is connected, didn't slip, and the high idle is also adjusted correctly.

One more thought on this. Be certain the choke actually closes when pulled.

John

Last edited:
I've been having the same problem and was told that I've got a crack in my exhaust manifold. Apparently it's just a hairline, but it really makes a difference when trying to start and when idling from cold.

I've been having the same problem and was told that I've got a crack in my exhaust manifold. Apparently it's just a hairline, but it really makes a difference when trying to start and when idling from cold.

The heat riser shaft and plate were gone out of mine and the pipe that hooks egr cooler was broken.

Loud as heck, but no problems cold starting.

I think some one was teasing you.

choke works fine. closes when it should be closed, open when it should be open. its around 70 degrees here, and it idles perfectly as soon as I start it, and will continue to idle perfectly, no choke, from cold to warm. I just don't get it.

my truck does the same. If you drive it every day it fires right up after one pump of the gas pedal. If it sits a few days, it does not matter what you do...you have to pump the pedal a number of times and about the 4th or 5th triy it will start (in cold weather). If the temp is up around 75 or better...it will usually start right up after on pump of the gas pedal. Choke on my truck has little impact on staring in cold weather, but once it does start the choke will maintian the high idle until released.

If you still have the OEM carb. look at the sight glass after it sits overnight. Sounds as if your fuel is draining out.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom