Engine running rough (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rider didn't lets us know, horse was saddle an at the trough already:mad:

Last edited:
For the record... my girlfriend is back from getting the heart transplant... it's quiet... and it feels ready to take on a cross country trip.
If it gives me another 3 or 4 years I'll buy it a 200 series little sister....

20200213_131958.jpg

20200213_132001.jpg

Easier it you just keep it in the same thread for others to follow.

So...how about tell us the stories behind how you've put holes in three blocks?

Why don't you trust your current mechanic? They seem to be putting a lot of time into sorting this out for you.

As For the 3 blown engines.
Lets see... 82 Toyota corrolla. I drove the .... out of it... I was 15 when I started driving between the city where I grew up and the small town where my mom grew up. I would drive it... 70-80 mph most if not all of the whole 345 miles... several times a year... if I remember I threw a rod in that engine and at that point I didn't pay a lot of attention to how much oil it had in it.
92 Toyota corrolla.... burned up the transmission... still doing the same trips... at the same speeds... but as one of my grow up friends would say... your the only person I know that can drive a 100k miles a year... and never get outside the beltway. By this time I was also doing electrical work... so it was generally loaded with enough supplies to wire a small house.
Lastly I went through a series... maybe 4 in all, 92 Honda accords. They were beaters when I got them... doing the same 345 mile trips... still doing electrical work... and occasionally running from dc to macon ga... all pretty much at low warp speeds.
Most of them had bad water pumps or thermostats although I think I threw a rod in one of them.
I also had a 2002 accord vtec v6.... same trips... the head gasket blew... soon after I got rid of it.
Then... there was snow meggedon... what 6 or 7 years ago... I was in a 92 accord with no heat... we lived in Frederick and worked in silver spring but close to dc.
1st it took about 12 hrs to get home. The wife I sat in the Honda on I-70 just off route 29... in the snow... no heat for about 4 hrs... finally the snow let up and and we crept the rest of the way home.
Shortly after that I joined Ih8mud. I looked for the cruiser for maybe 9 months... and bought it... 7 years almost to the day...
Cause I took a picture of it like the day after I brought it home... which popped up in my Facebook timeline while I waited for the tow truck... it was the 7 year anniversary.
So the 1st engine lived a good life. I've drove it everywhere from oshkosh to Dallas, from Orlando to up state NY... and never thought about it breaking down...
In the end it whimpered a few times and died almost equidistant from home, work and the repair shop.
And I'm still doing that 345 mile trip... did it...
Well my fastest time and my wife's fastest time... both around 3hr 30 mins for 345 miles give or take was in the truck.
Also did Oshkosh to Silver Spring in like 25hrs straight only stopping for gas...

So this is the new-ish engine... around 130k on it.... it's quiet... ominously quiet... starts easy and quiet... as for how it runs... need to take it on the road... driving it home... driving from the shop... the best way I can describe it... is it feels tight... or thick.
And that might not make any sense...
If you... this is a land cruiser forum... we've all driven them on the highway....
A land cruiser after 2 or 3 hrs on the highway... is like a healthy dog or a horse...
It's like come on lets run... let's do 90, go run down some sports cars...
The 1st engine felt like your normal long distance runner... lean thin muscle.... like he could run all day and enjoy it.
This engine feels more like a football player... thats also a long distance runner... but way more muscle bulk.
I floored and popped the over drive off a couple times on the way home... and...
I have a Camaro... there's no question the Camaro can out accelerate the truck...
But the truck can give reasonable acceleration... and feel like it could pull my 2 axle trailer with the camaro on it and still give reasonable acceleration.
I've pulled that 2 axle trailer moderately loaded on that 345 mile trip... and it ran like a champ

20200213_132001.jpg

20200213_131958.jpg

Just for sake of conversation.... if your stuff is situated , such that, you can walk into a dealership, for a spark plug or whatever it was... and they will let you walk out with a brand new 200 series...
Why not?
For that person... as the owner of the company I work for says... Price is a consideration... but it's not a limiting factor

Just for sake of conversation.... if your stuff is situated , such that, you can walk into a dealership, for a spark plug or whatever it was... and they will let you walk out with a brand new 200 series...
Why not?
For that person... as the owner of the company I work for says... Price is a consideration... but it's not a limiting factor

But that's not really what happened to that guy. He went in and the dealer told him he needed many of thousands of dollars of work on his vehicle for an issue that was quite literally a $200-300 fix. They convinced him to trade his vehicle so as to not suffer the bill for the work they claimed it needed, and gave him a deal on a 200. The dealer gets to miraculously fix the vehicle and put it on their used lot, and they can move one of their 200's.

Having seen 100's with botched timing belt jobs that have been saved and run for another decade, it was a shake down some of us have heard of and seen, or even experienced personally.

You're putting a lot of miles on vehicles, and running them hard. Blowing this many motors is...unusual...but a $4k motor every 7 years means you're probably doing just fine.

Mind sharing approximately what your gas expenses are a month on average?

I'm a little surprised to see the shop didn't clean up the motor for you before handing it over. How does the swap look?

This thread is sad before handing over 4k i would have took to dealership and second independent mechanic. We will never know what that infamous code read.

it was a P069420 and the common troubleshoot is to replace engine :)

I Actually have the old coil packs... mechanic said they were in pretty good shape... I could put them back in...
I called the dealer, that I got it from... they wanted 4000 for an engine and close to 4000 to put it in. When I bought it I paid cash... it's been 7 years since they've seen me... they put my name in computer and I came right up.
My guess is they would have tried to wriggle around into ... instead of putting 10k into an old truck.... we can find you a nicer newer one... and you can send us money every month.
I want a 2015ish one but I want the price to drop at least into the 30k range.
As for being scared of the coil pack... wise old man told me an ounce of prevention is worth pounds of cure... and I know how I drive... and my wife road trips with her friends in it....
I know I do dumb stuff like,
I was driving from Pensacola to New Orleans, by myself... at like 11 at night...
Some how I got into a pack... of about 12 cars... couple were Japanese, I remember at least one 4 door ford pickup at least 2 mustangs and a dodge charger...
A solid 125mph for at least 3 interchanges... I was surprised the pickup was keeping up...
What ended it was the charger finally took off and left us...
Its nothing for me to sail along at 100mph on the highway...
Anything I can pre emptively change... so I dont have to kick myself for not changing it in the middle of the night....
Or get a call from my wife... your truck broke down... is worth the coin to me...

Hard to argue that this engine is going to be any more or less reliable for your wife, just saying.

At the end of the day, if you're happy that's all the matters.

Im at work.... maintenance electrician for a property management company. IE... I dont do much of anything but I have to be here. Can't push it as hard with the springs in the back... but we travel loaded and I like that it doesnt sag with the heavier springs.

20200214_093700.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom