Engine running rough - Engine smells like antifreeze (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies if i posted this in the wrong thread earlier - making sure I am in the right spot...

I'm new to this forum and new owner of a 1999 Landcruiser with 126k miles on it.

Engine started running a little rough - intermittently... sometimes while in motion and sometimes at idle / at red lights. The rough running is enough to cause some vibration and rear window rattle. I smelled antifreeze under the hood and the reservoir was low so i refilled and have been monitoring the level there in addition to engine temps which remain normal. Radiator appears to have plenty of antifreeze (im using the pink/red variety).

I noticed a small leak which im pretty sure is antifreeze from driver's side - front of engine bay (poss crack in left side of radiator?)

Would a cracked/leaking radiator cause the engine to run rough / vibrate more than normal?

i have not noticed any white smoke in the exhaust (yet).

If you don't know exactly what's going on, I would run the risk of driving it or keeping the engine going for fear of a coolant or worse leak. Have someone look at it.

A cracked radiator wouldn't cause engine to run rough, but at 126K miles, that is way too young for a motor to die, don't risk it!

My guess is you have two separate issues going on here and the coolant issue should be your first focus. All and all it sounds like you caught it early enough.

I would let engine cool and check fluid levels and quality of coolant. Clean up the leak and figure out where it's coming from and get it fixed. Your vehicle has low miles so definitely worth dumping some maintenance money into it.

You mentioned the truck is new to you, and pretty low miles, did it sit for a while? Once you get the coolant leak addressed maybe she just needs to be driven a bit. If that still doesn't help then you start chasing things like dirty air filter / throttle body, plugs , fuel filter etc.

My guess is you have two separate issues going on here and the coolant issue should be your first focus. All and all it sounds like you caught it early enough.

I would let engine cool and check fluid levels and quality of coolant. Clean up the leak and figure out where it's coming from and get it fixed. Your vehicle has low miles so definitely worth dumping some maintenance money into it.

You mentioned the truck is new to you, and pretty low miles, did it sit for a while? Once you get the coolant leak addressed maybe she just needs to be driven a bit. If that still doesn't help then you start chasing things like dirty air filter / throttle body, plugs , fuel filter etc.

Thanks for the responses here.

The car is new to me - bought it 2 months ago and drove it from colorado to NY with no issues and no rough running/ rough idle. so it has definitely had some drive time. going to take a look at it again now to see how much of a coolant leak since i drove it last night.

For the running rough issue start with checking spark plugs to be sure none are too loose, which can cause additional issues if not corrected before it blows out of the hole. While checking the spark plugs, inspect coil packs, ensure all are OEM also. Clean MAF sensor would be good idea also along with checking engine oil level is not low or overfilled.

Thanks for the responses here.

The car is new to me - bought it 2 months ago and drove it from colorado to NY with no issues and no rough running/ rough idle. so it has definitely had some drive time. going to take a look at it again now to see how much of a coolant leak since i drove it last night.
Copy that, sounds like sound issue that can be solved for sure. I would focus on that leak for sure, clean it up and see where it is coming from.

For the running rough issue start with checking spark plugs to be sure none are too loose, which can cause additional issues if not corrected before it blows out of the hole. While checking the spark plugs, inspect coil packs, ensure all are OEM also. Clean MAF sensor would be good idea also along with checking engine oil level is not low or overfilled.
OK i will check those as well. thank you.

i had the oil changed recently - they added 7 qts (capacity is 6.8?). the level looks a little over the 'full' level on dipstick.

I always thought it was 8qts but check your manual and yeah the dipstick is the best bet. I dump in 8 quarts with a filter change and its a bit high on the stick.

The 100 series is a solid rig but those coolant issues could be engine killers so make sure you tend to that and then you can start on other maintenance items like other fluids.

OK i will check those as well. thank you.

i had the oil changed recently - they added 7 qts (capacity is 6.8?). the level looks a little over the 'full' level on dipstick.

A little over full shouldn't be an issue but an inch over full could be. Personally I wouldn't leave it a half-inch over full. My 01 LC takes 7.2 quarts ( i think) but thats when the old oil is fully drained out which doesnt always happen at quicky oil change places and even dealerships sometimes

I always thought it was 8qts but check your manual and yeah the dipstick is the best bet. I dump in 8 quarts with a filter change and its a bit high on the stick.

The 100 series is a solid rig but those coolant issues could be engine killers so make sure you tend to that and then you can start on other maintenance items like other fluids.
Thanks again for all the help here!. I plan on taking the LC into shop as soon as possible to check where the leak is.... but in the meantime, if the engine temp is @ mid/normal on the gauge and the coolant levels are maintaining (reservoir is still close to full and there is coolant visible in the radiator), am i actively running a risk that im unware of if driving short distances?

Thanks again for all the help here!. I plan on taking the LC into shop as soon as possible to check where the leak is.... but in the meantime, if the engine temp is @ mid/normal on the gauge and the coolant levels are maintaining (reservoir is still close to full and there is coolant visible in the radiator), am i actively running a risk that im unware of if driving short distances?

I don't think so unless a hose is ready to blow. If its leaking bad enough just watch it run for a bit and see if its pissing out or not.

Do you have any check engine lights?

I would suspect an ignition coil failing or spark plug wire coming loose.

Toyota red coolant has a built-in leak indicator :). Just follow all the coolant lines until you see dried up pink residue. Remove the plastic engine cover and look there especially... bottom of radiator.... etc.

Do you have any check engine lights?

I would suspect an ignition coil failing or spark plug wire coming loose.
no check engine lights. looks like the top of the radiator (seal?) is leaking coolant in multiple spots on the top edge. the leak has increased with light driving aroudn my neighborhood. will have to have it looked at tomorrow when my local shop opens.

oddly, the rough running engine and idle is no longer noticeable..

Toyota red coolant has a built-in leak indicator :). Just follow all the coolant lines until you see dried up pink residue. Remove the plastic engine cover and look there especially... bottom of radiator.... etc.
thanks for the advice here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom