Engine rough after wash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lor

Threads
I've found couple thread regarding this issue.

I washed my 80 the other day with a pressure washer (not too high). Afterward, it started fine. After a little while it idled a tad rough. I drove it for about 30 miles. Still running rough. I parked the 80 and then drove it for about 100 miles within two days. Still running rough. I noticed when the rpm is around 2K, she's really hesitated. Once past 2k, she's going but still a little rough. I checked the diz and it looked ok. I was thinking the plugs, but have not check them. I have not run the obd2 yet. Could it be the plugs? I've washed her in the past and after about 10 miles or so she's back to normal. Hate to see her coughing. Suggestions please. Thanks.

A little water got to the plugs...I don't know the magical fix for that besides pulling the plugs, drying them, and maybe letting any residual water in the holes evaporate?

I'm sure someone will post the best fix.

I too had a similar problem with my throttle position sensor.

CodyRx7 said:
A little water got to the plugs...I don't know the magical fix for that besides pulling the plugs, drying them, and maybe letting any residual water in the holes evaporate?

I'm sure someone will post the best fix.

my vote.

it happened to me too...pretty easy to check and confirm or rule out.

I did the same thing last week. I wash the engine bay down and drove for about 5 miles. I stopped at work for about 20 minutes, when I started it up it ran ruff and started stumbling bad. Home was close so I drove home with it kicking the whole way. Tonight I started it and it still was stumbling so I poped off the cap and no moisture anyplace............Well I was going to do a tune anyway so I pulled the wires and removed the cap and wires. I looked inside to see if any carbon build up and this is what I found. There are only 3k on this cap.
PICT0672.JPG
PICT0673.JPG
PICT0670.JPG

Last edited:
AATLAS1X said:
I did the same thing last week. I wash the engine bay down and drove for about 5 miles. I stopped at work for about 20 minutes, when I started it up it ran ruff and started stumbling bad. Home was close so I drove home with it kicking the whole way. Tonight I started it and it still was stumbling so I poped off the cap and no moisture anyplace............Well I was going to do a tune anyway so I pulled the wires and removed the cap and wires. I looked inside o see if any carbon build up and this is what I found. There are only 3k on this cap.

Wow! That makes me want to go and look under my cap this moment! :eek:

Aatlas said:

"There are only 3k on this piece of crap cap that I got at a discount parts store and boy am I glad I saved that $7. I think next time I'll call Cdan and get a part worthy of the rest of my truck."

There, fixed it for ya...

DougM

Doug,

Its an OE cap from a FJ40 I just bought from Central Or. It has a crate motor installed in 1988 and has ONLY 3,000 miles since.

I pressure washed all the "Red Rock" dust off her last week. I think that after the wash and engine heat made the cap fail.

PS, I work for Toyota................:flipoff2:

Thanks to all who helped.

I bought new plugs and put it on yesterday. I found water in 2 or 3 of the plug holes. I cleaned and replace the plugs. I also checked the connectors without water. Put everything back, drove it about 30 miles, and it still coughing a little. When I came back and park, it started to idle normal but not quite there. I drove the LC to work this morning. It still has a little hiccup, but almost normal. I'll drive it few more days to see if it is ok. I plan to replace the wires soon. Hopefully this will fix it. Again, thank you all.

Heh - thought you were showing a cap off an 80.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Heh - thought you were showing a cap off an 80.

DougM

Sure Doug...............................;)

Lessee. 80 Series section - check. Thread about an 80 Series with likely wet engine issues - check. And a post showing a 6 cylinder cap and discussing his own wet engine issue from the past - check. Reasonable assumption you were discussing an 80 but had used a non Toyota red cap? Check.

I also wonder what you think happened to that red cap - heat cracks, stress cracks from overtight bolts, or manufacturing defect?? I've never seen one and in my younger days a new cap was a twice a year deal.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Lessee. 80 Series section - check. Thread about an 80 Series with likely wet engine issues - check. And a post showing a 6 cylinder cap and discussing his own wet engine issue from the past - check. Reasonable assumption you were discussing an 80 but had used a non Toyota red cap? Check.

I also wonder what you think happened to that red cap - heat cracks, stress cracks from overtight bolts, or manufacturing defect?? I've never seen one and in my younger days a new cap was a twice a year deal.

DougM

Heat, stress and maybe the water?? No moisture was inside. But the spark was jumping from each contact and to another.

O ya, heres a pic of a new "RED" cap that I busted while putting it on tonight. Dust cover under the rotor slid over and while tightening it cracked............:censor:

I had the same problem after steam cleaning. Spray inside the cap with some Electric Parts Cleaner, and also pull each wire out of the cap (one at a time). This should dry up any moisture in or under cap and wires. You can't always see the moisture, a visual is not always good enough. Just a small amount of moisture is often enough to create the rough running. Kind of strange some of the spark plugs had water on the ends of them.
:grinpimp:

The 1FZ distributor tends to not like a power-wash. I have had to remove my cap several times to dry it after I have washed the engine compartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom