Engine Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pnwadventures.com
I need to pull the engine out of my 92 FJ80 (cracked piston).

The FSM says to pull the engine, transmission and transfer case as a unit. The FSM also shows that the transmission and transfer case can be removed without the engine.

Is removing the entire assembly the best method or can you pull the engine only and leave the transmission in place?

Steve

Pull the engine by it's self. Some folks here say never pull the engine, and replace the head gasket by going through the glove box:meh:

Here's how. First, strip out the engine compartment of the battery, radiator, intake, etc, and disco the A/C compressor, and tie off to the side if the fender well, I always pull the grill and my ARB too. From here it's not too bad to go ahead and strip the intake down to the cyliner head, this requires unplugging three or four plugs under the truck, on the transmission, and fishing the wiring harness up through the lower intake runners. The pull the lower intake runners and the starter, and the exhaust, and motor mounts. Now get under the truck and pull all the bolts holding the trans and engine together. The top bolts are tough to reach and you have use a looong extention reaching from the foot of the transmission. Don't forget to support the trans with a floor jack before you seperate the engine.

finally i found old tread. Thanks for that as i opened a new one. So basically there is no way around not dropping the transmission on a 1HZ engine as there is 1 bolt (1bolt only!!!) which can not be taken out without dropping the transmission, right? Wouldnt it be smart drilling out that thread later on and install bolt and nut which can be taken out from the front? Just a thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom