Engine Removal (fj40) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am swapping my F motor out for a SBC350 and will be pulling the F motor out this weekend.
Should I try and pull the engine/trans/t-case all together (seems like to much) or just the engine/trans and remove the t-case 1st by itself ? (up through the floor ?)

I have the hood/grill/driver fender off already to help with acess, Is there anything else to do or watch for to make this easier/safer ?

Thanks

I agree. Pull it all out at once. I find it easier this way too.

One big long package....and install the SBC the same way. Piece of cake, my record for pulling a I-6 and dropping in a V8 AND getting it running is 4-1/2 hours

:D

A small floor jack with casters is good under the transfer/tranny area, for the in as well the out.

Getting ready, after a can of penetrating oil and a days work.

Can anyone tell me about removing the shifter ? I read that you push down and twist...is that all there is to it ? Before refering to the mesage board I used a punch and pushed in the pin on the drivers side of the shifter housing....did I screw up ?

Ok...I unbolted the top of the trans and removed the whole assembly...but still couldn't get the shifter out. :mad:

I use a slip-jaw wrench and simply push and rotate the retaining collar for the shifter. Pops out every time. The metal collar needs to go down ~1/4" then get rotated.

its not as steady, but my brothers and I have installed a couple of engines - and took the old ones out with the old John Deere front loader. Lifts the engine real easy, and you don't have to worry about little casters on the hoist. Kinda hard to align things though ;)

Thanks Woody, I was pushing that collar down and trying to rotate the stick part of the shifter. It will probably work alot better your way !
and Jake wouldnt you know it I sent my front loader to the cleaners....never fails. :whoops:

Knucledragger,the main frustration I had with getting the shifter out is the Haynes manual told me to turn it the WRONG direction :doh:. When you press it down, Turn it counter-clockwise,not clock-wise.

If the casters on the engine hoist are a concern, position the cruiser so you can roll it out from under the engine/trans/t-case combo.

Thanks guys,, i am pulling my f2 in the morning,, have everything removed and un bolted with the front of the cruiser removed.. I stopped this evening because i was wondering whether i should remove all at once or not.. You answered my question. Will remove the shifters in the morning and pull all together . Thanks again

When putting it back in the 350 is lighter. I pulled the front fenders, grill, and hood off when I did mine. I also have used the roll the truck trick when swapping frames (when lifting the tub and also the transfer/tranny/engine combo) solo. 31" tires roll much better than 3" castors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom