engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to rebuild the engine in my 70 land cruiser, but I dont know of a good kit to buy, or if I should buy parts by them selfs. is there anything that I should know that would help me? any links to good rebuild kits, any pointers? thanks

i had my motor rebuilt, only advice i could give you if you decide to buy a kit is not

to use the freeze plugs that a come with it. the ones from toyota have a bigger

bulge. i had to pull the old ones out ( except for the ones that fell out) and replace

them with toyota parts. good luck

Go to an local engine shop and have them order a kit for your F or 2F engine. The only parts I would get OEM are the gaskets.

"Have your machine shop order everything for the rebuild"
They'll get the best price and everything will fit.
(same answer I give every time I see this question)

ok thanks for the in-put, now what about the head, is there a rebuild kit that I can get for it, or should I just try and find a rebuilt one?

see the thing is that I want to rebuild the block and the head, I just need to get the head refaced, but if its cheaper in the long run the i'll just have the machine shop rebuild it.

The machine shop I used cleaned the head, checked for cracks and checked it for true, surfaced as necessary, recut the valve seats and checked the valveguides for wear. I bought new OEM valve stem seals and ground the valves and reassembled. The machine shop charges were about $105.
I also didassembled the rocker arm and cleaned it, as it was real gunky and it was something I could do myself. I also ran a grinder across the rocker where it contacts the valve.

GL

Ed

Don't the later (and better) 2F valve seals fit the F head? I think I read about that a week after I picked my F head up from the machine shop. :-(

Ditto having the machine shop do the work - they can check the block, do the necessary honing/machining, then you can pick up the parts and assemble it yourself if you want. Old timey machine shops are familiar with these old cast iron sixes, and have tricks that aren't used on the disposable little motors. Talk to some local mechanics and speed shops fo refernces.

My sugestion is to get a 2F and rebuild it. The F motor was substandard as far as the oiling went. Toyota made changes to the oiling in the 2F to correct issues. Spend an extra $150 to get it BALANCED. This will aid in a smooth running, longer lasting engine.
Put an RV grind cam in the 2F for a little extra torque and HP.

I was kinda thinking of putting in a 2f, will the newer 2f bolt right up with the tranny? how much power can I get out of one of them? and what does a used 2f go for?

The 2F will bolt right up to a 3 speed bellhousing or a fourspeed bellhousing.
I bought one with 90K on it for $200 and could have just replaced seals and run it, but decided to rebuild it while it was out. Mine came without manifolds, waterpump, thermostat housing and dizz, but with a starter.
HTH

Ed

I started looking for some 2f's I didnt find to much for used ones. I did find one place, used 2f I dont know if its a good deal or not. I havent called the junk yard yet but what years of cruisers should I look for? thanks for any and all help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom