Engine rebuild cost? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why you decided to do a tear-down if it was running good? Mine has 226k and it still runs pretty well, but I was gonna do an oil analysis to get a better idea of internal wear.

Current 1FZ in the 80 has ca. 315k miles, burns oil, leaks oil and is needing attention. The one I've refreshed is a second motor that will go into the 80 soon. Since it was out of the truck I decided to go over it and reseal it and replace parts while it is easy to do so.

New Toyota head? Pretty sure you won't find one of those.

I just did a new Toyota short block and remanned the head at the most reputable Toyota shop in Denver. Lots of new bits, radiator, injectors, EGR,
full exhaust, etc. I can send you the detailed invoice if you're interested, but the total was way past what you're talking about. I traded $26k for that service.View attachment 2827904

Here's one in case you ever need it. Seem to still be available.

Screenshot_20211102-091524_Chrome.jpg

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why you decided to do a tear-down if it was running good? Mine has 226k and it still runs pretty well, but I was gonna do an oil analysis to get a better idea of internal wear.
Oil analysis is never a bad idea. I've been sending in samples to Blackstone with every oil change since I've owned my 80. All reports have been good which gives me peace of mind and optimism about the future of my truck. You can't buy that...... :cool:

Yeah I thought these engines were designed for shadetrees in developing countries. You'd think it was a Ferrari V12 by what some of the rebuild rates are nowadays!

Maybe the recent high valuations for 80 series LCs are causing repair bills to increase?
8 days ago I dropped my engine back in after I completely rebuilt it. Machinist cost was 900ish$ for cleaning, honing and head work. Parts do add up. If I have courage I'll run a total and post it later.
For example I sourced 1 piston from Partsouq $50ish, that's all that they had. Other 5 I paid ~$105 from OEM partsourse.

Please don't take my 20K rebuild the wrong way. I did everything from the firewall forward. Certainly not necessary. 10K will yield incredible results and return on a motor that you want to rebuild. And that's doing a LOT of the other items too. YMMV for sure.

As for me, I don't do V8 or diesel swaps at the shop. The 1FZ was put into these cruisers for a reason, and everything works great with it. I won't question or change the thinking of Mr. T. That said, I see the obvious reasons that people want to do a V8 or Diesel swap, no doubt. IMHO, YMMV, and HAGD. HODL.

I'll be pulling my first motor in the spring. It's a 1F out of 65 FJ45LV, I'm pretty confident in that operation. Pulling a 1FZ is beyond my current skillset.

They're only beyond your skillset if you allow that to be the case. There's not a fundamental difference in what is required to pull an FZ from any other pre-100 series engine, F-series included. Older LC drivelines are super easy to get out. Go for it.

Nice one! I will definitely be inquiring with my shop as to why I was told it was unavailable. Thanks for the info.

I think you know this, but that is just for the casting. You still need to buy cams, valves, etc. Or reuse your old. But, you'll most likely be buying some shims at a minimum.

I have a spreadsheet for my rebuild. It's always open for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Hey all,
Blew my headgasket. Took it to my shop, and they are telling me that the PO had machined the head down so far in the last rebuild, that it is unusable for this rebuild.

2k for the head, and then 800 for machining, the valve job, and and swapping cams and valves.

After labor, gasket set, distributor system replacement(wires, sparks, rotor etc), its going to come to around 6k. That includes some other minor repairs and a refresh on all rubber and what not.

Curious to hear what you all think of a the 6k price tag, and if it is reasonable.

The shop doing he work is The Truck Shop in San Diego. They have a great reputation for yota's and land cruisers, and have done solid work for me before.

Thanks all,
Chris Morrissey

Hey Chris,

You're going to get a lot of diff opinions from diff folks from all walks of 80 life here.

To stay as factual as possible, for a pretty thorough Toyota OEM "long block" refresh with all new Toyota parts that include the short block and head with new internals in the head (valves, shims, cams, gears, etc), you're easily staring at a $10K+ bill with aggressive discounting for parts alone. To me, that's a friggin' bargain for such a special truck.

Good luck!

How many people even have all these tens of thousands of disposable cash just lying around for them to put into a vehicle, even if said vehicle is deemed to be worth the investment. I can understand the cost/benefit vs financing a new vehicle, but how many banks will give you a loan to refurbish a 25-year old Toyota?

Thanks for the replies everybody! sounds like 6k, 2 grand of that being for the new head is actually about right. I cannot understate how excited I am to have a mostly rebuilt engine for the first time. I will update if I run into any issues. New head is toyota OEM :)

Depends on what you want to do/accomplish. Do you just want your truck running again? Or do you have to spend alot to have "piece of mind" that your truck is solid. A smart shop is going to size you up as a customer and pitch the most work they think you will pay for to make your vehicle better than ever.................Forgive me If I'm wrong, but based on posts here I'm guessing you have a 1FZ? On ebay today is a used head for $299, there are a couple others for less than $1500. Toyota 1FZ ENGINE Cylinder Head Landcruiser land cruiser fzj80 valves motor | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/174862436287?hash=item28b69d07bf:g:sMUAAOSw9WRhAZTu Cheapest repair which will likely fail within a year is just to unbolt the head install new head gasket and bolt it back up. Next would be buy a used head check it to see if you can get by without resurfacing, lap valves, assemble, and bolt it on. There is no point in buying a new head if they cost so much.

LC's are expensive vehicles now. Just like a mercedes or BMW. Some people assume if you're willing to pay the high price for a vehicle that you're willing to pay continued big money to own it.......................It's been awhile since I've been to SanDiego, but I remember it being an expensive place to live. You might do better at a shop out of the area. You could probably get a much cheaper price in the next town to the South of San Diego if you want to take a chance.
Yeah I really want to just baseline it. Truck was heavily abused by the PO. TJ is actually a great idea, just hard to get back and forth. Lots of toyota knowledge down there. 1FZFE 1993 fzj80

Oil analysis is never a bad idea. I've been sending in samples to Blackstone with every oil change since I've owned my 80. All reports have been good which gives me peace of mind and optimism about the future of my truck. You can't buy that...... :cool:
What does an oil analysis tell you about engine internals? I never knew this was a possibility but very interested. Thanks!

What does an oil analysis tell you about engine internals? I never knew this was a possibility but very interested. Thanks!
It will show evidence of wear i.e. Cu and Pb are evidence of worn bearings.

It can also show signs of coolant/HG issues which I believe are indicated by high levels of potassium.

How many people even have all these tens of thousands of disposable cash just lying around for them to put into a vehicle, even if said vehicle is deemed to be worth the investment. I can understand the cost/benefit vs financing a new vehicle, but how many banks will give you a loan to refurbish a 25-year old Toyota?

Actually, a lot of people. :meh:

There are many more things to consider outside of hp per $.
I agree. I would say power, mpg, parts availability, intended usage, driving experience, intended length of ownership and reliability probably come to mind for most as main things to consider. Seems like I'm towing all the time so that's been a big factor for me. Just towed a 4500lb trailer up a mountain pass today. When talking about spending 20k or more, I would carefully consider all the options. Including driving other options or riding in other options to see what it's like.

I have a very detailed invoice with part numbers and photos. Please pm me if you would like me share it with you. Otherwise, here is some overview.
Screenshot_20211102-203501_Outlook.jpg
Screenshot_20211102-203521_Outlook.jpg

I have a very detailed invoice with part numbers and photos. Please pm me if you would like me share it with you. Otherwise, here is some overview.
View attachment 2828608View attachment 2828607
Not sure I understand the wire harness repair; I just put in a new one, not cheap, but ~$500+. Super happy I did that. Other prices seem odd as well, but, I did everything myself and shopped for the best price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom