Engine rebuild cost? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whoa. Front seal and oil pump leaking = new short block? I'm confused

Whoa. Front seal and oil pump leaking = new short block? I'm confused
Why is the short block 16k? When I Google the 1fz short block part number its only 4k.
Yeah, I guess it doesn't make sense the way I posted it. Here is the link to entire invoice. There are several links to click and expand for the details. I flew to VA to get this truck and shoot back to Denver. I cooked the block driving into a massive dust storm for hours straight, 80 mph headwind, semi trucks blown over, and me pushing it as hard as it would go. Couldn't hear the motor ticking or see the white smoke because of the storm.
IMG_5968.jpg

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make sense the way I posted it. Here is the link to entire invoice. There are several links to click and expand for the details. I flew to VA to get this truck and shoot back to Denver. I cooked the block driving into a massive dust storm for hours straight, 80 mph headwind, semi trucks blown over, and me pushing it as hard as it would go. Couldn't hear the motor ticking or see the white smoke because of the storm. View attachment 2828651
Man so sorry your engine died. What a rough way to start new ownership of a cruiser. I see it includes labor and parts now.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make sense the way I posted it. Here is the link to entire invoice. There are several links to click and expand for the details. I flew to VA to get this truck and shoot back to Denver. I cooked the block driving into a massive dust storm for hours straight, 80 mph headwind, semi trucks blown over, and me pushing it as hard as it would go. Couldn't hear the motor ticking or see the white smoke because of the storm. View attachment 2828651

The very fact that this shop provides e-access to the work order with a detailed inventory of all OEM parts and the ability to hold each other accountable with an accept/decline option is very pro imho.

Anecdotally, I have heard good things about this Japanese Auto Service shop out of CO. I'm guessing a full on T parts only long block build from them would be $22-25K installed, ready to roar. I'd be very tempted. Click, book and go.

8 days ago I dropped my engine back in after I completely rebuilt it. Machinist cost was 900ish$ for cleaning, honing and head work. Parts do add up. If I have courage I'll run a total and post it later.
For example I sourced 1 piston from Partsouq $50ish, that's all that they had. Other 5 I paid ~$105 from OEM partsourse.
I just ran my total.
A bit over $13k but, that includes ~$500 for stereo and speakers, $1,200 for BFG KO2 tires (5 from Costco), Harbor freight 2 ton puller, stand, load leveler, and digital torque wrench. Shop manuals. also...
I did: rebuilt all calipers, turned rotors new brake hoses (7), Wheel bearings, Birf kits, seals, etc and all Bushings (28) - Press work was ~$200 for that. Also did all U-joints, all cooling system hoses, New OEM PS Pump and high pressure hose, Water pump, Toyota Reman Starter and Alternator. And, OEM Lexus drivers side sun visor.

Engine: Main Bearings, rod bearings, pistons, rings and valve guide seals. New engine wire harness wasn't cheap $480, but well worth it. Exact cost for the Machinist was $920

Every part was OEM except the throttle cable and the Cruiser Outfitters BIRF kit. All told a bit more than a :banana: effort, I'd say. Nothing will ever replace seeing and touching every part and knowing exactly how it fits, etc. Would never let anyone else do that.

I wanted a "New" tough dependable vehicle. All in for an absolutely rust free vehicle with good paint and triple locked, under 30 grand. Beats taking my '19 up to Montana bird and elk hunting, and more comfy than my Taco. Now all I need is a few oil wells and a refinery:slap::bang:

The above price will decrease a little because I accidently order a few duplicate parts that I'm going to sell on Ebay. The lesson there is don't order parts when sleep deprived!:doh:

I think you know this, but that is just for the casting. You still need to buy cams, valves, etc. Or reuse your old. But, you'll most likely be buying some shims at a minimum.

I have a spreadsheet for my rebuild. It's always open for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Can I get a copy of the spread sheet?

Nvm spoke too soon found it on link provided

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom