Engine rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey dudes
I just pruchased my 96 80 with about 183K on the odomoter. When i cranck it i hear a brief rattle sound until it lubricates then it's completely gone. Someone told me it was common with this year model but neglected to tell me what it could be.

Oh wise and knowledgeable mudders please educate me....

Hey dudes
I just pruchased my 96 80 with about 183K on the odomoter. When i cranck it i hear a brief rattle sound until it lubricates then it's completely gone. Someone told me it was common with this year model but neglected to tell me what it could be.

Oh wise and knowledgeable mudders please educate me....

Mine does the same thing I have recently changed the belts with OEM. I poped the hood and saw the rattle at the bottom where the belt spins when i shake it and re adjust it (with my hand) the squeak and rattle reduce somewhat. :cheers:

It sounds pretty serious like it could be coming from inside the engine. Anybody else experience this issue out there?

Is it because oil has left the filter, isn't that why some ppl use the small toyota filters instead? Does it happen all the time or after a long sit?

You are probably right about it not having a good oil filter.
Mine does it if I let it set for few day but if I drive it daily then it does not.
Does it do it after you drive it?

Sounds like the ever present "startup rattle". A quick forum search will explain more, but basically the timing chain tensioner is hydraulically actuated. When the engine sits for a while, the tensioner can drain of oil. The next time it's started, the chain may rattle until the oil fills the tensioner again and tightens the chain.

Different oils and/or oil filters seem to reduce it for different people. Most don't seem to really worry a whole lot.

For me the Purolator PL10241 oil filter seems to have given me less startup rattle than the big Toyota oil filter or the larger Purolator PL30001 filter. And Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil seems to give me less rattle than Mobile 5w30.

- Whipp

CDan,

Do you get this rattle? You use the big Toyota filter, don't you?

Some oil filters have an anti-drain back valve built in them to keep the oil charge in the filter so it's full everytime you hit the key. Some of the Toyota filters I've installed on some of the cars have this,don't know if it's availible for the LC??

Some oil filters have an anti-drain back valve built in them to keep the oil charge in the filter so it's full everytime you hit the key. Some of the Toyota filters I've installed on some of the cars have this,don't know if it's availible for the LC??
Every filter you can buy has an anti-drain back valve, at least that I've handled. I worked at Jiffy Lube for a year and enjoyed cutting them open when I was bored or I saw metal shavings come out while draining. (I'm talking about the normal screw on filters, not the newly common canister types which are all 'fabric')

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom