Engine puffs smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1994 LC 240,00mi daily driver. 9yrs owned it and never any issuse.
Recently at a stop light (not all the time) when i go to take off there will be a cloud of smoke. Other times a ticking sound and puffs of smoke. Itll stop after i drive a little bit.
Oil level is good.
Any help would be helpful
Kenny

Probably not healthy, but you can always try to get a whiff of the smoke and you'll know what's getting burned.

Excess fuel = smells like fuel (Check fuel pressure regulator, resistor and relay. Check injector wiring around EGR pipe and behind glovebox)
Oil = smells like diesel (Most likely valve guide seals, but could be other things)
Coolant = smells sweet (Possible failing head gasket on these unfortunately).

Hows your coolant level?

Coolant is good. Its doing it when im getting off freeway and long declaration. Then i take off and cloud of smoke i leave behind.
Embarrassing to the land cruiser community
Kenny

A little more informtion might be helpful, like what color is the smoke? Black smoke can be from unburnt fuel from running overly rich. Blue smoke can be from burning oil due to worn piston rings or leaking valve seals/worn valve guides. White smoke can be from coolant leaking into the combustion chamber due to a leaking head gasket. Or it could be steam which looks like white smoke, but steam is part of normal combustion when it's cold outside. Since you stated that it's mostly present after high a vacuum event, like deceleration, then my bet is on what PPC said above, worn valve guides or valve seals.

Last edited:
How much oil are you consuming? That helps define how serious the problem is. My rig is over 215,000 miles, mostly with a SC, driven hard. Only repair on engine so far is a burned/dirty intake valve on #1 cylinder @ 190,000. Did a valve grind, shaved the head, and put in new valve seals. Before this I used 1.5 qt of oil every 10.000 miles. After I used 0.5 at per 10.000 miles. I want worried about oil consumption before the head job, but I am happy that the valve seals reduced the oil consumption.

I would do a compression test, see what your getting and from where.

Have the coolant 'sniffed' for combustion gases.

TBH, at that mileage a planned for period of the vehicle being out of order would see the head pulled.

Regards

Dave

Definitely too early to be thinking about selling and replacing the truck :)

Keep an eye on oil level with every fill up. If you're using a lot, then do a leakdown test to determine where it's going. If you're using a little, just keep topping it off and don't worry about the puff. Or if it really bothers you, just start with the leakdown test and determine the appropriate course of action. Worst case, you're looking at a head gasket and valve job. More likely, you're just looking at the minor nuisance of topping off the oil from time to time like the rest of us :)

Now i loosing oil by rear main seal. It seems to leak out alot. Oil light comes on i add oil. About 2qt a week and if i travel long distance i have to add more often.
Could it be pvc needs replaced. Would running 20w 50 oil slow down the leaks around rear seal?

OK, 2 quarts a week is a lot. Do a leakdown test and see where it's going. You're probably not leaking that much from the rear main/rear oil pan arch.

Now i loosing oil by rear main seal. It seems to leak out alot. Oil light comes on i add oil. About 2qt a week and if i travel long distance i have to add more often.
Could it be pvc needs replaced. Would running 20w 50 oil slow down the leaks around rear seal?

That's a ton of oil to be going through. Heavier oil won't solve your problems, start by fixing leaks (likely numerous if using that much oil) and then reevaluate if the usage goes down.

On occasion mine has a puff of blue smoke on startup, indicative of worn valve seals. Its only once in a while and oil usage is still within the acceptable range (~1 or 2 quarts per 3000 miles).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom