Engine Problems! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Help!!! :eek: My cruiser ran well all summer and I started it yesterday and it was idling really high and now i've got tons of black smoke coming from the exhaust. Is my engine toast? I hope not!!! :'(

Thanks Wayne! I always thought black smoke was oil :doh: I'm gonna go check it out right now! I hope that's all it is :)

Blue smoke is oil. Black smoke is fuel rich.

[quote author=ottende link=board=1;threadid=8302;start=msg70293#msg70293 date=1070404630]
Just to do a bit of hijacking... Does white smoke mean something?

D
[/quote]
Possable head gasket or cracked block ???or just a lot of moisture in exhaust and just let it heat up and burn out.to many possabiltys

Diana,
If you haven't already, pull the air filter and with engine running check on what Wayne mentioned regarding the choke. If the choke is on then not only will it pull much more fuel into the engine but will also idle it up quite a bit. If that's the case and you can unstick things then at worst you may foul some plugs and have to replace them. If the choke isn't closed and it's still running like crud plan B might involve checking for a frozen float valve.

White steam from your exhaust will also show up in regions of the USA that use oxygenated fuel, and does not necessarily mean that you have a bad head gasket or head. An engine burning coolant will have an antifreeze/coolant odor, and you should notice that the coolant level has dropped. Ambient air temperature and humidity are also factors that contribute to having white exhaust. Even after an engine and exhaust system have been operating for a while, it is not uncommon to see white exhaust, and not have anything be wrong with the engine.

Good luck!

-Steve

That is good to hear... sorry about the hijack guys...

I do use oxygenated fuel (up to 10% ethanol). I wasn't too concerned however, randomly at stops (even when its warm), when I pull away I leave a noticeable amount of white smoke. Even on warm days. Never smelled any coolant except when the reservoir gets used (unilimited capacity reservoir, asphault lining, single tube install). Anyway, back to Dianna's trouble...

-D-

Most of the time you do not get an "engine problem" all of a sudden. It works up on you a while. You lie to yourself and say nothing is wrong and next then you you are pulling the motor.

I bet you are running rich.

Step back and describe the issue better. Pull the air cleaner and see what is happenning.

Just remember no matter how bad it is it can be fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom