1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine pinging, rattling

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Rookie2, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Rookie2

Rookie2

I tried advancing the engine approximately 4 to 5 degrees (7 to 8 TDC) and after a couple of weeks, started to get some pinging, so I backed it off a couple of degrees, and again after a couple of weeks, was hearing pinging again. I'm now maybe 1 degree advance, which I wouldn't think would do much, and still get some pinging, particularly on moderately heavy acceleration startup and maybe pulling a hill at low RPM's after the gear shifts over. Any suggestions? I hate to have to go up to high octane gas if there are other options.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Rookie2

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Are you one degree advanced from stock (4 deg BTDC) or are you one degree BTDC?

What is your altitude?

What octane fuel are you running?

Do you fuel at the same place all the time?

3. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Just to add to Dan's questions.. How are you setting the timing? Has the engine been set to base mode? I'm not sure how this is set on ODBII control systems but I don't think you can just put a light on it and adjust the dizzy.

4. Scamper

Scamper

On a '97 you gotta jump two pins on the diagnostic port before setting the timing, so if that wasn't done, the numbers mean nothing (well they do...but not what you thought).

But I think the ECU on the '97 will try to compensate for any inappropriate timing, and with time this learned behavior may be stored in the ECU (not really sure about this)? If so, then even after resetting the timing, you would need to reset the ECU to let it re-learn the right way.

5. Rookie2

Rookie2

C&#039:Dan - Right now I'm one degree advanced (4 BTDC), altitude 980 feet, 87 octane, and yes I fuel at the same place everytime.

PPC - I'm jumping the ECU with a paperclip and reading it with an inductive timeing light.

Is there a need to reset the ECU after this (I presume by taking off the negative battery cable?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Rookie2

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    In my opinion that is too much advance for that grade fuel at that elevation.

7. Rookie2

Rookie2

Okay Dan.

Do you think it needs to be actually retarded some rather than just going back to the manufacturer recommmended setting of 3 degrees BTDC?

I guess I was hoping there was a "can of Gumout" type solution :slap: that would remedy this, cause I didn't think having it advanced a degree or so would of made much difference.

Thanks again,
    Rookie2

8. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Try higher octane fuel???

9. Rookie2

Rookie2

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=13917;start=msg129501#msg129501 date=1080669501]
    Try higher octane fuel???
    [/quote]

No, not yet. So many people are running low octane without any problems. I hate to toss in another 20 cents a gallon if there are other options/issues to be resolved.

10. tomlite

tomlite

Sounds like the ERG isn't working Correctly. Especially if the ping happens during mild acceleration.