Engine Overheating Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a very interesting situation today on my first trip on the beach. After about a 40 min highway trip to get to the beach I locked my differential and drove another 10 minutes on the sand to get to my favorite fishing spot. I looked at the temp gauge and it was into the red. I never witnessed the temp this high before and have driven extensivly on the beaches of the south shore of Long Island. I immediately stopped and tuned off the engine. Opened the hood and found the coolant overflow tank making a boiling noise. I let the engine cool down and looked again and noticed that all of the hoses seemed to be “sucked” almost flat, the upper and lower hoses along with the hose that goes from what I believe is the water pump. I opened the radiator cap and air was sucked in and the hoses expaned to normal. I added a quart of water to the radiator to fill it and drove the truck all the way home with no abnormal temp reading. I was planning doing a coolant flush for some time but have been remiss. The truck has 79,000 miles on it, any ideas of what happened today.

Bad rad. cap and or clogged hoses from the rad to the overflow would have to be the cause of the vacuum in the system (as the engine cooled). Check/replace them asap.

Doesn't necessarily explain the overheating though.

Curtis

yup, the return from overflow hose / cap plugged, probably, or something like that.

As far as the overheating, where you in High on the sand? That could easily get you up there in temperature if you have any cooling shortcomings. When I play in the sand and I switch from high to low I see immediate big drops in temps of both coolant and ATF and vice versa.

...When I play in the sand and I switch from high to low I see immediate big drops in temps of both coolant and ATF and vice versa.

Why is that? Engine RPM lower in high and higher RPM (making coolant circulate) in low? -- Makes sense to me, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

79,000 miles? i hate you :flipoff2:

anyway... have you had the truck the whole time? the reason that i ask is that the only time i saw my hoses puckered up like that was when a shop used cheap replacement hose.

do you think someone could have worked on the truck previously and done the same? regardless, i would pull the hoses and check them for some crud. you might as well order a new set from CDan then begin the diagnosis of what part(s) fail to cause you to overheat. i would start with the t-stat and fanclutch. if you have the patience, then move onto the waterpump and finally the radiator.

of course, i dont have the time for that so i just had mine replaced all at once. now i dont have to worry about it.

Why is that? Engine RPM lower in high and higher RPM (making coolant circulate) in low? -- Makes sense to me, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

right, coolant flow rate and also likely engine operating in more favorable band

Had the LX since 72K sorry, also from Georiga w/ dealer service its entire life. Anyhow, what is the best way to determine if the clutch is not functioning? I believe it is the origianal grey one. When I overheated I was running in low, have not installed the center diff switch yet. Plan to flush ASAP and replace the cap. Thanks for your imputs and any further would be great.

I see a number of different clutches available, which one is the best replacement and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom