Engine over heating. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning HDC. I replaced the PHH, 3 radiator hoses, water pump T-Stat. Filled with Toyota Red from the Top radiator hose then filled the radiator. Topped off the radiator overflow res. Added water ( did not get 4 gallons in. I'm thinking because I did not pull the drain on the side of the engine. At Idle is maintains temp just fine, when i start to drive it the temp climbs. I've attempted to let it run with cap open to purge any air twice but no joy. When i installed the T stat the jiggle valve was at the 12 clock position. I've also ran the heat while cap was off to open up all valves. I also replaced the fan clutch with a new Aisin.

The triggering event for the maintenance was a squeaky bearing or pulley, so I also replaced the Idler pulley, ac tension er pulley refreshed the seals. Front main, oil pump and distributor. (I also need to fine tune the timing.)

Anyone in the area able to lend some knowledge /help diagnose the issue? I live off Comanche and Morris. I've heard the Radiator may be plugged and require replacement however I had not had issues with cooling prior to draining the fluid. ,

Last edited:
I don't have much experience diagnosing overheating, but when my '98 Accord had a leaky head gasket I was flushing my radiator every Saturday...

Are you able to flush water from a hose from top to bottom on the radiator? Seems like you've done everything else right.

Pocket of air trapped in one of the hoses?

I don't have much experience diagnosing overheating, but when my '98 Accord had a leaky head gasket I was flushing my radiator every Saturday...

Are you able to flush water from a hose from top to bottom on the radiator? Seems like you've done everything else right.

Pocket of air trapped in one of the hoses?
Not sure how to alleviate the pocket of air if there is one. I ran it for 20 minutes on jack stands with cap off.

What engine are we talking about? What was the color/condition of the old coolant? Maybe a dumb question , but are you sure the t-stats not backwards/upside down?
1995 so 1FZ engine. The T Stat is not upside down or backward I did put it in at 12 oclock so rotating slightly could solve the issue? The radiator fluid was not bad when it came out. Looked reusable but that is an obvious no no.

So, the radiator isn't cooling down the water as you load it up.

I'd do a radiator pressure test to see if it holds pressure. Pretty easy test to conduct.

Secondly, are you experiencing any mysterious coolant loss? After the engine is warmed up, set the RPM to around 2500 and see if you're getting aquarium style bubbles coming up from the bottom of the overflow reservoir. Let's hope not!

Fan clutch - try to see if you can stop the fan from rotating at idle using a gloved hand. Be careful on this one! Are you hearing a roar sound as you rev up the engine on a warm day? If you CAN stop the fan from rotating on a warm day or hot engine, your fan clutch fluid could be done for.

Let me know what you find and we'll proceed from there.

Correct. This only happened after refilling it with coolant after preventive maintenance. My though was there air was not purging.

I'd do a radiator pressure test to see if it holds pressure. Pretty easy test to conduct.- I'll look up how to do this.

Secondly, are you experiencing any mysterious coolant loss? After the engine is warmed up, set the RPM to around 2500 and see if you're getting aquarium style bubbles coming up from the bottom of the overflow reservoir. Let's hope not!- I'll try this today.

Fan clutch - try to see if you can stop the fan from rotating at idle using a gloved hand. Be careful on this one! Are you hearing a roar sound as you rev up the engine on a warm day? If you CAN stop the fan from rotating on a warm day or hot engine, your fan clutch fluid could be done for. The fan clutch is a new Aisin. I was going to buy the wits end one but after 10 days it had not shipped and I was anxious to put it back together.

Let me know what you find and we'll proceed from there. -Thank you!

Correct. This only happened after refilling it with coolant after preventive maintenance. My though was that the air was not circulating.

I'd do a radiator pressure test to see if it holds pressure. Pretty easy test to conduct.- I'll look up how to do this.

Secondly, are you experiencing any mysterious coolant loss? After the engine is warmed up, set the RPM to around 2500 and see if you're getting aquarium style bubbles coming up from the bottom of the overflow reservoir. Let's hope not!- I'll try this today.

Fan clutch - try to see if you can stop the fan from rotating at idle using a gloved hand. Be careful on this one! Are you hearing a roar sound as you rev up the engine on a warm day? If you CAN stop the fan from rotating on a warm day or hot engine, your fan clutch fluid could be done for. The fan clutch is a new Aisin. I was going to buy the wits end one but after 10 days it had not shipped and I was anxious to put it back together.

Let me know what you find and we'll proceed from there. -Thank you!

Last edited:
Worst case who would be the best in ABQ for a HG replacement.

Nah, think positive dude!!! Let's just do the simple troubleshooting steps and arrive at a logical conclusion.

Since you have a new Aisin fan clutch, I doubt you have an air flow problem. If the problem still persists, we can get together this weekend.

Please update your signature line with your 80 info and I forgot your name! I know we've met at the HDC breakfast.

Nah, think positive dude!!! Let's just do the simple troubleshooting steps and arrive at a logical conclusion.

Since you have a new Aisin fan clutch, I doubt you have an air flow problem. If the problem still persists, we can get together this weekend.

Please update your signature line with your 80 info and I forgot your name! I know we've met at the HDC breakfast.
Yeah man. I don't see how the HG would just go when I had no signs before.

just to recap: not overheating while stationary... is overheating while In motion (?) .. and what's a PHH?

just to recap: not overheating while stationary... is overheating while In motion (?) .. and what's a PHH?
Yes temp goes up when driving. Phh is the pesky heater hose. Because it's a PITA to get to.

my guess is the water pump itself. not getting the needed flow

my guess is the water pump itself. not getting the needed flow
well i hope that is not the case, I just replaced it with a new Aisin.

verify hoses are connected correctly ?

verify hoses are connected correctly ?
Yes, no kinks. I pulled off the Tstat housing and assembled the hoses on the bench to get the orientation right.

@alia176 -So I warmed up the system engine today and checked the fan at speed with a gloved hand. Yeah not happening with out losing any digits so i feel good about the fan clutch.

Increased RPM's once warm to 2500 and did not see any bubbles in the reservoir and I do not see any coolant loss under the cruiser or loss from reservoir tank.

I have not been able to do the pressure test as I am ill equipped as of today.

After attempting to bleed again, i drove it for a few minutes and temp started climbing so I went back to the house. I felt the radiator and it felt cool to the touch in the center and up toward the upper portion of the radiator felt warmer. Didn't feel spotty. That said I did order a Radiator today just in case. Go figure they dont stock them in town.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Which radiator did you order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom