Engine Oil in the Supercharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed my supercharger's intercooler today (97 with 146,000) for inspection and replacement of all the hoses. Once I removed the intercooler, I noticed a pool of oil on the bottom inside lip of the S/C to intercooler connection point (I cleaned off the oil before I took the picture). The inside of the intercooler and the air intake chamber also has a thin film of engine oil. I replaced my PCV valve 3000 miles ago. Do you think the engine vacuum is sucking oil past the seals all the way to the supercharger? The truck does not smoke or use above normal oil consumption. Should I be concerned?

Thanks. Doug
Supercharger Pics 001.jpg

Where is the PCV hose connected?

not un common to have oil in the intercooler. Hot vaporous oil travels through the PVC system and enters the system pre compressor and then cools and collects in the intercooler.

If you have done the Sumotoy mod then it will be even more so. This is one reason for catch cans.

Doug, since you've got the cooler off (I never did) take some pics of how it all goes together, what's inside the box, etc. I've had a zillion questions over the years about that thing.

Dan,
The No. 1 PCV is connected to the Air Intake Chamber, same as the factory setup. It is the new looking light grey hose in the picture.

Cory,
Good idea taking pictures but I already have everything buttoned up. The intercooler is a slick setup. Basically a heater core inside the box, connected to a radiator and holding tank. A marine grade pump is using for circulating the fluid. BTW, the truck now has 4:88's, Slee rear bumper, 315 KM2's and a bunch of other misc. stuff.

My PCV is venting pre-blower, no catch can. According to my TRD bud that causes NO issues and the only reason they didn't do it to begin with is because they were trying to simplify the PCV plumbing.

My PCV is venting pre-blower, no catch can. According to my TRD bud that causes NO issues and the only reason they didn't do it to begin with is because they were trying to simplify the PCV plumbing.

my only comment was that by doing this he would condense even more oil as that mod passes even more through the intake pre compressor. It's common to have similar problems with oil accumulating on turbo charged intercoolers and catch cans help elevate it.

I'm not saying the mod is bad but if you put an intercooler on your truck I'm sure you would see quite a bit of oil in the intake.

I would agree with that observation.

I am in no danger of putting one on since I have no room for one. Besides, I am building a Hot Rod 91 Camry wagon at the moment...:lol:

Are you tired of the hemi in the lumpy old dodge car?

Cory,
Good idea taking pictures but I already have everything buttoned up. The intercooler is a slick setup. Basically a heater core inside the box, connected to a radiator and holding tank. A marine grade pump is using for circulating the fluid...

Please at least post of pics of the unit all put together for MUD's sake!;)

Are you tired of the hemi in the lumpy old dodge car?

It's not a 426 Hemi, It's just a lowly 440 Magnum :crybaby:

I gots BIG plans for the Camry. I'm thinkin' a 3SGTE out of a Turbo Alltrac Celica............;)

I gots BIG plans for the Camry. I'm thinkin' a 3SGTE out of a Turbo Alltrac Celica............;)

I've got a 426 Hemi looking for a home...

I personally think that the 440 magnum is better than the hemi anyway, no crying needed. The fastest car I ever drove was a coronet with a 440 wedge, a huge cam, and dual Carter 850's on a tunnel ram. No solid idle below 2500 RPM's but when she caught hold, the front would lift a foot through first and bounce in second and third. This of course was after adding 9" slicks to the equation. One pass at PIR on a Wednesday night and the safety judge said " you boys can come back when you have a cage, driveline hoops and a wheelie bar". 2 MPG getting to the track. If you drove slow. That car would eat a hemi any day.

I'm liking the Camry wagon idea, tho.

Black paint, black windows, black rims, no chrome. And a hot turbo motor.

A camry wagon with a turbo.:D

In the turbo diesel world it's pretty common the oil in the intake and intercooler .. actually the factory 1HD-FTE intercooler have a pluc to conect a Toyota tool, oil suction device .. that pull the oil from the intercooler without pulling it from the Cruiser ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom