engine oil drain plug gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brian

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
what type of matrial is it supposed to be made of?
i picked a new up not a long ago, ever since it was new it never sealed very good. it always dripped a little, after yesterday's oil change, it leaves a "puddle" about 4" in dia, when parked over nite.
i don't recall where i got the gasket, but i'm pretty sure it was an oem part.

don't know maybe this one was just on the shelf to long, but from day one it was rock hard.

I just use the OEM gaskets from Toyota and they don't leak. Napa sells a fiber substitute that works but is not as good. Make sure the sealing surface is flat-I've seen them get mis-shapen and not seal well.

I don't care for the fiber ones, just a little bit of torque and they will split. The nylon ones are alright, but I prefer the OEM Honda and Toyota drain plug gaskets. The Honda ones are an aluminum washer, and the Toyota ones are teflon coated aluminum. The soft metal conforms to the steel on your pan and drain plug and makes a good seal. I think the aluminum ones come in 12mm and 14mm.

i never looked super close at it, but it appears to be some type of fiber or plastic type mat'l. so it also appears that's not the oem part i thought it was.

I didn't mean to say that ALL OEM Toyota and Honda gaskets were aluminum or teflon coated. I don't know that. I do know, though, that the aluminum gaskets that we get say that they are OEM for Hondas, and the teflon coated say that they are OEM for Toyotas. Whether for all models or just a couple models, who knows. The nylon ones work well for many situations, but if you overtorque them they will squish out. But then again, why should you be putting that much torque on a drain plug? I think the Hondas call for an aluminum drain plug because they call for 33 ft lbs of torque. Seems like the fiber plugs start to fail and split around 18 ft lbs, and the nylon squish out at a bit over 20 ft lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom