Engine oil cooler gasket woes - huge oil leak (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmm, so do you buy a whole new relief valve to get the small seal for that too?

In this case, yes.

I'll take mine fully off tomorrow get a better look at it, maybe I'm remembering wrong due to the frustration when I was dealing with it lol.

Good plan.

Hmm, so do you buy a whole new relief valve to get the small seal for that too? My relief valve just had a metal washer on it, which I reused.

As for the o ring on the cooler, I oiled it up a bit to get it to stick, but possible it could've got pinched when I seated it.

I'll take mine fully off tomorrow get a better look at it, maybe I'm remembering wrong due to the frustration when I was dealing with it lol.

This is what I bought for that.

1600828883355.png

Good call. McGeorge is probably pretty good for OP in general being in VA.

I usually rub a small amount of red grease or super lube on o-rings like these so they will be a little sticky won't slide off or bind during installation when I apply pressure by tightening the mating surface. I've seen a few o-rings become pinched under the right circumstances. Getting the big o-ring to mount sideways on a 5VZFE is a trick.

What about the seal that is part 15690 for valve assembly cooler relief. The smaller round O seal that mates up to the cooler shaft.

View attachment 2443437
I do too.

After my first figure 8 o-ring install slipped & pinched. I've been used Nylog on both, to hold in place..
005.JPG
Oil filter bracket & cooler seals (3).JPG

Oil filter bracket & cooler seals (5).JPG

Last edited:
Hmm, so do you buy a whole new relief valve to get the small seal for that too? My relief valve just had a metal washer on it, which I reused.

Correct, relief valve and the seal it uses (regardless construction) is sold as a set.

Part # 15695-50010

Also make sure all of your mating surfaces are clean and flat. Be certain any grooves/inlets for O-Rings are clean and free of debris. I had to dig the O-Ring out of mine in small bits....it was rock hard.

Remember to torque to 51 ft. lbs.

Oil Cooler Seal2.jpg

Oil Cooler Seal3.jpg
Oil Cooler6.jpg

Last edited:
I pinched the gasket, turns out that bump I thought was a passage, was actually part of the gasket that was rock hard in there.

I did notice in my coolant inlet port, there is some rubbery looking material in there, this doesn't seem normal, should I fish it out, is this part of the cooler?

PXL_20200923_213802857.jpg

PXL_20200923_205308932.jpg

PXL_20200923_205354003.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way, but you dun screwed dat up real good.

Nice that you found the root cause and can fix it!

before i got to the end of the first page i wanted to say you probably pinched the O ring. when it comes to pressurized oil/fluid and orings they have to be perfect the first time. ive seen several failures in fluid power systems where the Oring got pinched. best of luck!

I soak mine in a mix of Berryman Chem-Dip carb cleaner and kerosene. I keep a can of Berryman around for parts cleaning projects.

I've done this on my other Toyota before the 100 series so I knew what to expect.

These parts need to be squeaky clean for reassembly.

1600899286157.png

1600899411727.png

Don't take this the wrong way, but you dun screwed dat up real good.

Nice that you found the root cause and can fix it!

Lol no offense taken! Been up to my ears in car projects and I got lazy with this task, clearly goofed up! Glad I figured it out though

I soak mine in a mix of Berryman Chem-Dip carb cleaner and kerosene. I keep a can of Berryman around for parts cleaning projects.

I've done this on my other Toyota before the 100 series so I knew what to expect.

These parts need to be squeaky clean for reassembly.

View attachment 2444202

View attachment 2444205
Good tip! I'll be wire wheeling this clean as much as I can

And input on the rubber inside the coolant inlet pipe?

Lol no offense taken! Been up to my ears in car projects and I got lazy with this task, clearly goofed up! Glad I figured it out though

Good tip! I'll be wire wheeling this clean as much as I can

And input on the rubber inside the coolant inlet pipe?

I would try to blow it out from the other side with compressed air after using a pick to work it loose. Hard to say without physically having it in hand.

It almost looks like some RTV was floating around in the cooling system that became lodged in the cooler fins.

Berryman straight strength will loosen RTV -- it's just a slow process.

I would try to blow it out from the other side with compressed air after using a pick to work it loose. Hard to say without physically having it in hand.

It almost looks like some RTV was floating around in the cooling system that became lodged in the cooler fins.

Berryman straight strength will loosen RTV -- it's just a slow process.

Good idea with the blowing it out technique, I'll give that a go. This car is just full of surprises. I spent the money for a well taken care of truck, and I got a truck that needs TONS of work, ah well.

Hey guys... i did this repair on my 2006 Toyota Tundra with the same 4.7l 2uz-fe engine. The Tundra forums arent really that helpful most of the time. Which is why I love ih8mud. Awesome info here..

Symptoms I had were oil leaking from the oil filter area, around oil cooler housing so when I did my oil change I wanted to change out the oil cooler housing o-ring - 90301-67004. I did'nt change the figure 8 o-ring (which I also had) for the housing because that needed me to take out the a/c compressor as one of the bolts (at least on the Tundra) is behind it. Which was a pain so I took a chance and just changed the bigger o-ring.

So anyways here's what I learnt while changing the oil cooler housing o-ring -

1. Read the FSM manual before changing. Cause I didn't think I needed to change the Anti-freeze. The coolant line literally stuck to the oil housing. So if you are changing the o-ring make sure you have some silicone plugs to plug this up if you dont want to lose your precious red Toyota antifreeze.
2. The oil union bolt is 32mm IIRC so make sure you have such a big bolt socket to remove it.
3. My o-ring was going bad as in when I tried removing it most of it came out fine but there was a part that became hard plastic that broke off in the o-ring grove - this part likely was not doing do what it was supposed to be doing.
4. I slightly scored the o-ring grove removing my o-ring b/c of how hard it was stuck on there. So take your time removing the o-ring. If you have time use some loosening solvents or something similar to not score the o-ring grove. (See pic)
5. Clean the 2 mating surfaces very well. I used 1000 grit wet sand paper to clean it up. Not sure if I should be using that but thats all I had for the time being.
6. The Union bolt Torque setting is 50 ft lbs to put it back on

I had to refill my anti-freeze again since I did'nt have plugs to plug the hoses up.

Its been 3 days since the fix..and I have had no small oil leaks yet. So I am hope this was the fix.

1616697435884.png

1616698659001.png

Last edited:
Looks like I’ll be doing this project, how hard was it to take the oil cooler off of the block?

Easy! Hard parts, is cooler hose from block, literally. It gets hard with age. Consider replacing, if removed from oil cooler.

Looks like I’ll be doing this project, how hard was it to take the oil cooler off of the block?

How big are your hands?
How flexible are you?
What is your level of patience?

;)

Unless you happen to also be replacing your steering rack.....it is isn't an item that is easy to reach or work on....but can be done.

IMO it isn't something you want to do twice, so look carefully and determine if any or all of the three hoses need replacing while you are in there. Be sure to fully disassemble the oil cooler, clean it well and replace ALL the seals. Be careful when reinstalling not to pinch or tear the figure 8 seal. Use something to keep it in place (grease, vasoline, nylog, etc).

Oil Filter Adpt.jpg

Oil Cooler Seal3.jpg

Oil Cooler2.jpg

Unless you happen to also be replacing your steering rack.....it is isn't an item that is easy to reach or work on....but can be done.
Although I agree, I think that if any of the other coolant hoses need replaced then the oil cooler hoses probably do too. I replaced 100% of the coolant hoses preventatively, including the oil cooler and rear heater hoses under the truck. The rearmost oil cooler hose was in particularly bad condition despite visually appearing OK while on the truck.

And x2 on the figure 8 seal - I used a tiny bit of grease to hold the new one in place - and also cleaning out the oil cooler with compressed air. Both good ideas as @flintknapper noted.

How big are your hands?
How flexible are you?
What is your level of patience?

;)

IMO it isn't something you want to do twice, so look carefully and determine if any or all of the three hoses need replacing while you are in there. Be sure to fully disassemble the oil cooler, clean it well and replace ALL the seals. Be careful when reinstalling not to pinch or tear the figure 8 seal. Use something to keep it in place (grease, vasoline, nylog, etc).

View attachment 2931498

View attachment 2931501
View attachment 2931504

The previous owner of my 100 had the steering rack replaced before i bought it and i am 99% sure they pulled the oil cooler off of the block (worm hose clamp on both sides of the oil cooler coolant hoses). So who knows if they replaced the seal.

Not too big of hands, long arms, pretty flexible, and have two kids under 4 (so pretty patient). i have some nylog on order and have replaced all those hoses except for the one from the block to the oil cooler, which i have ordered along with oem clamps. I also ordered two figure 8 seals, and 2 of the other round seals.

I am going to pick up some wobble sockets, and maybe some crowfoot sockets too to help.

The previous owner of my 100 had the steering rack replaced before i bought it and i am 99% sure they pulled the oil cooler off of the block (worm hose clamp on both sides of the oil cooler coolant hoses). So who knows if they replaced the seal.

Not too big of hands, long arms, pretty flexible, and have two kids under 4 (so pretty patient). i have some nylog on order and have replaced all those hoses except for the one from the block to the oil cooler, which i have ordered along with oem clamps. I also ordered two figure 8 seals, and 2 of the other round seals.

I am going to pick up some wobble sockets, and maybe some crowfoot sockets too to help.

Piece of cake....comparatively then. 👍

Removing it is not too difficult, but reinstalling it must be done with some finesse.

Easy! Hard parts, is cooler hose from block, literally. It gets hard with age. Consider replacing, if removed from oil cooler.
Just saw this was "Easy", figured weather is good in Denver go ahead and start tomorrow draining coolant and hit it Wednesday.. Yep i got a new hose/clamps, 2 sets of o-rings incase i muck it up.

Does anyone know the torque values for the bolts into the block?

Also would it make sense to remove the cooler bolt on with the second half on the truck for more room to get the bolt/nuts holding it on the block?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom