Engine oil cooler gasket woes - huge oil leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was doing my steering rack, and in process moved the oil cooler out of the way. I noticed the gasket was already leaking a bit, so i decided ill go get a new one and slap it in. This is not the gasket that sits on the block, but rather the gasket that separates the actual oil cooling unit from the body of the passages. So i grabbed the gasket in the photo below, part number 90301-67004.

I noticed that the oil cooler surface where the gasket goes, is not 100% flat, there is one bump where it seems a small passage protrudes into the gasket sealing surface, the gasket i received does not have a corresponding divot for this bump on the sealing surface.

I slapped it in anyways since its the same diameter, and fit decently well, and torqued it down to about 40ft lbs or so.

Well, its leaking pretty bad, in the photo below, i wiped some up before taking the pic, but you can see residual oil to the right. I've confirmed its not the oil cooler to block gasket, as that surface is not leaking. Do i have the wrong part number, if so, can someone give me the right one? Toyota diagrams only show the part number for the whole cooler unit, which i dont need.

1600819074949.png

Link to above diagram:

1600819294453.png

I get this from mylparts.com for that part number:

• Genuine:
     Parts
  • SKU:90301-67004
  • Other Names:Thermostat Housing O-Ring, Engine Oil Cooler Gasket, Ring, O
  • Description:
    5.0L. 2007-09. Cooler to Bracket.
  • Condition:New

That doesn't seem like the right part to me.

Would you know how to find the right part number? Seems like some sites say it fits, and others say it doesn't, but I can't find a different part number for this piece

When I did my steering rack, I replaced a gasket that was an 8 shape. I do not remember this circular one when I removed my oil filter housing.

This was the part I ordered: 15692-50020

It is part 35 as seen in pictures:
1600824005933.png

The part is probably cheap enough that a visit to your local Lexus or Toyota dealership can get the part at a reasonable cost. If the parts counter guys don't know, move on the veteran techs ....

When I did my steering rack, I replaced a gasket that was an 8 shape. I do not remember this circular one when I removed my oil filter housing.

I replaced that one too, that on seals to the block, no issues with leaking on that one.

The oil cooler seals to that flange, and there is a circular o ring that I replaced that's causing the issue.

The part is probably cheap enough that a visit to your local Lexus or Toyota dealership can get the part at a reasonable cost. If the parts counter guys don't know, move on the veteran techs ....

Not sure how to get to the techs, my parts guy at the dealer is pretty damn clueless. I'll have to keep searching and asking around it seems

I replaced the following when I did mine:

Oil cooler bracket to block gasket (the figure 8):1569250020
Oil cooler to oil cooler bracket gasket: 9030167004
Oil cooler relief valve (union bolt): 1569550010

Below are the torque specs. I suspect you’ve just not torqued any of the bolts properly.

Bolts holding oil cooler bracket to block = 13 ft-lbf
Oil cooler relief valve/union bolt = 51 ft-lbf

Ok let's make sure we're on the same page. You're saying there's a passage way between this surface and this ring?

2.jpg

9030167004.jpg

Do you recall any bump or passage or corresponding divot needed to mate anywhere?
No, none at all. It’s exactly as your picture shows.

I replaced the following when I did mine:

Oil cooler bracket to block gasket (the figure 8):1569250020
Oil cooler to oil cooler bracket gasket: 9030167004
Oil cooler relief valve (union bolt): 1569550010

Below are the torque specs. I suspect you’ve just not torqued any of the bolts properly.

Bolts holding oil cooler bracket to block = 13 ft-lbf
Oil cooler relief valve/union bolt = 51 ft-lbf

Hmm, I didn't replace the relief valve since that's all metal, is this necessary?

I'll take the filter off and torque the relief valve more, to the 51 ft lb torque spec and hope that solves my issue.

Thanks for confirming thats the same part number you used! That helps a lot

Do you recall any bump or passage or corresponding divot needed to mate anywhere?

Are you experiencing a similar issue? I can take this back off and try to get a picture of this bump. It makes the gasket sit a little higher in one spot for sure on my unit.

I didn't replace the relief valve since that's all metal, is this necessary
No, but it can clog up and reduce flow, which, if yours is clogged, the oil pressure could force oil out at gasket. When you pull yours back off, blow air through it to clear it out before you reinstall.

Part number is correct, just did mine. Gasket/Seal should have looked like this:

Oil Cooler Seal.jpg

Last edited:
Are you experiencing a similar issue? I can take this back off and try to get a picture of this bump. It makes the gasket sit a little higher in one spot for sure on my unit.

No mine is still fine. Just trying to help.

A picture of the surface may help. Seems like others have not seen this.

Hard to see but the ones I took out.

1600825618510.png

1600825702292.png

1600825778073.png

I usually rub a small amount of red grease or super lube on o-rings like these so they will be a little sticky won't slide off or bind during installation when I apply pressure by tightening the mating surface. I've seen a few o-rings become pinched under the right circumstances. Getting the big o-ring to mount sideways on a 5VZFE is a trick.

What about the seal that is part 15690 for valve assembly cooler relief. The smaller round O seal that mates up to the cooler shaft.

1600826477805.png

Hmm, so do you buy a whole new relief valve to get the small seal for that too? My relief valve just had a metal washer on it, which I reused.

As for the o ring on the cooler, I oiled it up a bit to get it to stick, but possible it could've got pinched when I seated it.

I'll take mine fully off tomorrow get a better look at it, maybe I'm remembering wrong due to the frustration when I was dealing with it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom