Engine noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
I've started hearing a faint rattling / clattering sound that is present at low rpm's during light acceleration :-\. This occurs just off idle and when accelerating at low rpm's after down shifting. It has that cheap gas, high timing clattering sound :p. I'm running 89 octane gas and the timing is set at 3 degrees BTDC ???.

Any ideas would be appreciated........ :D

Wayne S

Check the rock guard/heat shield in front of the cat. The clamps get old and the guard rattles a bit. I fixed one with a hose clamp and the other with a muffler clamp.
Check the cat too

I have a similar noise on my truck that I've been looking for. I thought it was coming from the torque converter because that is where I could hear it the best, but now i'm not so sure. I took it to a toyota dealer to have them listen to it and they didn't really know for sure. Their best guess was that carbon deposits in the combustion chambers were causing the noise.
I can only hear mine under light acceleration. No noise at idle, but if I brake torque to 1100 or 1200 I can hear it pretty well. Does this sound like yours?
aaron

The ratttling / clattering I hear sounds like it is coming from the engine or engine compartment area, and not from the tranny/torque converter area, nor the catalytic coverter area. It has a faint sound, similar to "valve clatter" or "gasoline ping". The first few times I heard it I thought is was bad gasoline, but I've pretty much ruled that out.

Any other thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Wayne S :D

Believe it or not...I have heard a noise like this from a loose battery tray. It would tap the body and radiator if the bolt had backed off at all.

Completely random...but easy to check.

Had the same thing happen to mine (95 FZJ80). This cured mine. Move up to 91 octane and see if it stops, it did on mine. Then start using a fuel system cleaner every oil and filter change. I now just burn 91 since the pinging will kill your piston and I don't want to deal with new pistons. Let us know if a couple of tanks of 91 gets rid of your problem.

Wayne,

By any chance are you referring to a sort of engine "lugging" sound or vibration? Mine has this attritubte while accelerating and it's sort of sound you can duplicate in a manual trannied car by not downshifting appropriately. I thought someone had said that this vibration is normal for our engine. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

alia176,

My rattling / clattering sound is more like low octane pinging or clatter and not drive train vibration or harmonics. Thanks for the idea thought....... :)

Wayne S

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone else has solved this engine clatter? I have the same issue.
It happens more when the engine is warmed up, only happens under light acceleration. I'm using RotellaT conventional oil with Toyota filter. I've noticed when my oil level gets low it happens more frequently.
Just pulled my valve cover and the top end looks pretty sludgey. LX450 with 218k on it.
I've tried the higher octane gas, tried reducing timing, nothing has helped.

Suggestions?

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone else has solved this engine clatter? I have the same issue. It happens more when the engine is warmed up, only happens under light acceleration. I'm using RotellaT conventional oil with Toyota filter. I've noticed when my oil level gets low it happens more frequently. Just pulled my valve cover and the top end looks pretty sludgey. LX450 with 218k on it. I've tried the higher octane gas, tried reducing timing, nothing has helped. Suggestions?

What did you set your timing to? Factory is 3*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom