1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Mounts

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ40cruiser, Mar 13, 2004.

1. FJ40cruiser

FJ40cruiser

Hello evryone!

I have a frame resto I currently underrgoeing for a 77' FJ40. I have already purchased another frame because of rot on the current frame. As a LC rookie I looked only for a frame that was in good condition, in doing so I failed to look a smalller details. The dilemma I have here is this: The frame that has the rot is nearly 100% unmanipulated in it OEM form. However the frame that I purchased has some aftermarket work done to it. The only major issue that I discovered thus far is potentially fatal to the whole project. The way the OEM frame is oriented is as follows: the motor and trans are secured by two mounts on the left and right for each componenent relatively (2 on each side). The mounts are secured to bracketts(4 in all) which are rivetted to the frame itself. Well the frame that I found to be suitable for the transplant is oriented differently. It would appear another form of engine was put into the frame in the past that required removal of the old mounts and bracketts that were riveted to the frame and some shotty looking bracketts were welded to the frame in entirly different locations.
    With all that said my question is simple, can I simply take the bracketts off of the old frame and attach them onto the potential restored frame via heavy duty bolts or welding them back to their inital positions if necessary?
    Any help would be appreciated thanks for looking.

2. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Sounds like you've already figured it out...I'd weld them in though (or get someone to).

Good luck with the resto -

Tucker

3. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Bolts are fine as long as they're strong enough. Like Grade 8.
    I have trouble here locally getting grade 8 metric, but 7/16 grade 8 are easy to fing and just about the same size, IIRC
    Ed