Engine miss - Another bent push rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While chasing the engine miss that I fear caused the rig to fail the AZ smog test I decided to adjust the valves. Turns out the #2 exhaust push rod is bent. Interestingly, I found a bent push rod on the #5 intake valve when I replaced the HG last year. What would be the cause of this. Seems unlikely that the cam shaft is broken as it runs OK otherwise.

Push rods don't bend for no reason. If you disassembled the rocker assembly during the HG replacement, that would be the first place I would look to see if it is correct.

High rpm+tight valve clearance or old valve springs = bent push rods in my experience. How many miles on your current engine and how bent is the pushrod? Any major tuning issues with it since HG job? Did you do a valve job and check the valve spring pressures while you had the head off?

I beng about 7 oysgrids ub a Dodge 413 V-8 in my Travco motorhome by running old gas through the engine. It deposited some kind of nastiness on the intake (?) valve stems causing them to stick which in turn bent the pushrods. Took a sledgemammer to loosen the vales up.

I have no idea how I typed those first few words in my prior post.

I have no idea how I typed those first few words in my prior post.

That is why they have the EDIT button.

Valve float isn't going to do it because the valve doesn't close before the cam lobe comes up again.

Engine has 185k. Head was rebuilt when I did the HG. I did not disassemble the rocker arm.

I read some post about issues replacing the valve lifters. It this a big challenge.

Picture is the bent push rod from the HG replacement project.
Cruiser Fix 003.jpg

I'm not getting an 'edit' button anymore. Is that just me or has something changed?

Have to have a silver star to edit.

if these engines are like the amc 4.0 straight 6 it could be a sticking lifter, have you checked for bent valves?

I'm definitely suspecting the lifters. According to the FSM they are simple to replace but I have read some threads saying the opposite. Is there a "trick" to this??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom