Engine misfire, and I have no hair to pull out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agreed, it SHOULD be all cylinders, but maybe 5 and 6 are already running rich or those injectors are being problematic.

If 5 and 6 are dumping more fuel, it could be they have a bare ground wire.

Remember, Toyota switches the GROUND side of the load and not the HOT side of the load, so, if there is a failure to ground, it's on all the time.

Cool man. Thanks. I’ll jut go through all the wiring I can find to see if there’s anything. So frustrating.

Have you run a compression test on all 6 cylinders? #6 is not too bad if you pull the 4 mounting bolts from the heater valve and wiring harness cover just above it. I am currently helping rebuild a head due to leaky valves. Have done this once before due to a leaky valve on my own engine. Head gasket was fine both times.

Would the valve make it idle rough instantly, or would it be something that gradually got bad? My rig started running rough like a plug wire came off, or an injector was malfunctioning.

I haven’t run a compression test. I’ll do that after I put it back together without an issue found.

So, I may have found my issue. I hooked my power probe up to injector #6. Grounded one end and went to supply power to the other, and it would only activate the solenoid occasionally. After a hundred or so connection attempts, it activated consistently. Injectors are on their way, and my fingers are crossed.

Have you verified 1) with a mechanic's stethoscope that all injectors are ticking and 2) that you have spark to the cylinder(s) in question? If so, then I'd run the compression test but better would be a leak down test if you have / can borrow the equipment.

Bummer man. Sounds like you should put an LS into it :)

Sorry to hear that Bro... We had all hoped for a simpler solution.

Just throwing this out there....along with compression maybe do a leak down test as well. I think you'll get the full picture of any potential issues.

Just throwing this out there....along with compression maybe do a leak down test as well. I think you'll get the full picture of any potential issues.

I think I’ll just pull the head and check it out. When I have the gauge in 5 or 6, I can hear the pressure coming out the other plug hole.

I think I’ll just pull the head and check it out. When I have the gauge in 5 or 6, I can hear the pressure coming out the other plug hole.

The leak down will show you where it's leaking from without all the work to remove the head. FWIW...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom