Engine Light Problem on '95 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had my engine light go on after an oil change and it won't shut off. Can I just disconnect the battey cable for a few minutes?

On most cars disconnecting the battery for a while will shut off the light, but the code may remain in memory to be read with a scanner. The light should only come back on if the problem still exists. So disconnect and see if it comes back. If it does, then somethings up.

Disconnect the battery to reset the CEL, if CEL turns back on have it read at Autozone of wherever that will read it for free. I would check the oil level if you had it changed by someone else, these require eight quarts to refill. Sometimes that can slip by these "oil change technicians".

I forgot to tell you that the oil level should be checked with the engine hot.

boekppl,

Good catch on the low oil level possibility.

But why for you say check the oil with the engine hot? This goes against the Owner's Manual, the FSM, and the collective wisdom around here, unless I'm mistaken.

Curtis

I mean when warm, you won't get a proper reading when engine is cold.

No, that's what I mean. Everything I've heard says check when cold. :confused:

Be right back; I'm gonna go out an' get my owner's manual.

Cheers,

Curtis

Well I'll be... (nice stars out and a half moon, BTW:) )

From my '91's owner's manual: "With the engine at operating temperature and turned off, check the oil level on the dipstick."

:eek:

Apologies, and cheers again,

Curtis

No worries CJF. No need for apologies.:)

Much easier than disconnecting the battery is to go in the fuse panel under the hood and remove the EFI fuse for a couple of seconds. Does the same thing and you don't have to reset all of your radio stations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom