Engine Issue: Polaris Ranger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I am beyond stumped. Engine turns over, but won't start.

We have checked the fuel pump. It's pushing fuel to the carburetor. Nada.
We sprayed ether into the carb and it won't light. Nada.
We replaced the carburetor for chuckles. Nada.
I pulled the spark plug and checked for spark. Yep.
We replaced the plug wire and coil for chuckles. Nada.

Any idea? I have air, fuel, and spark. It has to be something stupid. This is a very simple 1 cylinder engine.

Does it have compression? 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

4 stroke. From the "finger test" the answer is yes. I brought in my compression tester to see for sure. Engine was rebuilt recently.

It would have an oil level shutdown but confirming spark eliminates that. Any suck back on the exhaust or exhaust on the intake side to indicate a valve problem?

It would have an oil level shutdown but confirming spark eliminates that. Any suck back on the exhaust or exhaust on the intake side to indicate a valve problem?
I put my compression gauge on it and it was fine. Last week when I looked at it there was spark. Today, no. Coil is good, but it appears there is no power to the coil. Pulled out the FSM, and will dive into it tomorrow.

Did it run since the engine rebuild? Does it use a distributor or no?

No dizzy. Yes it ran.

I'm looking at the FSM. It appears there is a "kill system" that kills the coil. What I found unusual is with the key on, and the engine not running, the fuel pump was running, and the hour meter was ticking away. I don't think that's right. So, I'm suspecting a fault with the kill system, but need to trace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom