engine is screaching! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AndersN

SILVER Star
Threads
ive got a 89 fj62 and shes run great the couple months ive had her...though whenever i acceclerate to fast or hit 70 mph the engine is screaching like crazy...im only 16 so would like to fix it myself...any ideas what it could be...appreciate it :doh:

Check the drive belts (Aircon Alt Power steering)
Ill nearly bet one of them are slipping and creating the racket

Another vote for drive belts.

Test it in your driveway -- start the truck and rev the engine (while in PARK -- normally I wouldn't specify this, but...you're 16, it's better to be safe :) ) If you hear screaching, it's most likely the belts.

70 mph? i would hate to think what would happen if i pushed my 60 to 70mph!
lol
really, belts are what i would look at.
hammer

start the engine and spray a bit of WD-40 on the belts. It will soften them up a bit and prevent that gawdawful noise from happening.

IMO if sprayed on the belts it won't hurt a thing. Don't use too much.

Last edited:
dont spray anything on the belts, just tighten them up to the correct tension, not too tight though. as for belts use only OEM.

also make SURE all the adjusters and bolts are loose before you tighten the belts, on a 3fe its easy to miss one and if you crank on the adjusters you can bust em........not like I ever have ;)

You guys should quit pulling this kid's chain. :rolleyes:

It's obviously the muffler bearings...

On a side note to the orig poster - you may not actually be going 70 mph if you have larger tires than stock - you may be going closer to 75 (if you're running 31" tires, which seems to be pretty common) - so SLOW DOWN! :D

swank60 said:
You guys should quit pulling this kid's chain. :rolleyes:

It's obviously the muffler bearings...

On a side note to the orig poster - you may not actually be going 70 mph if you have larger tires than stock - you may be going closer to 75 (if you're running 31" tires, which seems to be pretty common) - so SLOW DOWN! :D
better yet - give me your cruiser

ga89hoss, you are most likely looking at belts. I have to replace mine soon too, since they screech it I rev up over 3000 rpms quickly. Had it happen on many other vehicles. I saw an OEM set on ebay for somewhere around $35. Search for FJ60 and someone on there has a toyota store for OEM parts.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

Common old bath soap is the best thing to lubricate belts.
Just watch the fingers very carefully , but bath soap really quietens them down for a while
Best solution is to change them

PS you can use it to wash your hands later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom