Engine implant - Tundra or Diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What say you? I have read about both, and can't make up my mind. Who has done one and compared it to another?

T-Rolls

Rolllin'Thunder,

Lightning will strike if you don't do a search - so get to it!

Search is your friend - very helpful database on all kinda engine swappage.

Best of luck!

Why waste your money and time on a 4.7 that is underpowered and uses a timing belt? My opinion its easier and you get more power with a GM power plant.

A lot of factors to consider. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with Either engine.

But what diesel engines are you considering? Do you want to run WVO or other alternative Fuels? Older mechanical injected diesel engines will give you this option and without all the emissions and electronics to deal with.. Its a huge plus to be able go through this forum to skip through all the EGR and fuel injection sensor related threads.

But if you're not considering alternative fuels for diesel and plan on getting fuel at the pumps, an older diesel engine and a newer tundra engine would likely get similar MPG's and gasoline is cheaper.

Another consideration for an engine swap is forum assistance. I would make sure that whatever engine you go with has a good forum to get your assistance from because the folks here would be little help to you with a different engine. Do you know about 4BTswaps.com?

Pat

Last edited:
Jonesys is working on a 6bt conversion. Can't wait to see what happens as Cummins 5.9l powerplants are reliable and capable. Might have a wait though if you go this way.

If I were going to go through the trouble to swap in a V8 it wouldn't be a 4.7. I would do a later model Atlas motor before that.

Arm chair opinion here as I've yet to get to the point of seriously considering an engine swap.

I can't imagine going through the hassle of an engine swap in an 80 and not going diesel. But then by the time I can do an engine swap, my 80 won't be a daily driver and I'll appreciate the increased torque and overall ease of maintenance of the diesel. And a diesel truck is just somehow really right.

If only US got the HDJ80's. we would have had a/c cooled glove boxes, aux gas tank, OEM winch. i almost want to import one here.

If only US got the HDJ80's. we would have had a/c cooled glove boxes, aux gas tank, OEM winch. i almost want to import one here.

No aux tank on the JDM 81, and it's the center console that's cooled. You should be able to import early trucks soon, lot's of them running around up here so it wouldn't be too difficult.

Why waste your money and time on a 4.7 that is underpowered and uses a timing belt? My opinion its easier and you get more power with a GM power plant.

2005-2009 4.7L engine produces enough of power and if you perform your PM's on time you don't have to worry about the timing belt. I had a 2006 tundra that was always fully loaded with at least 1000 pounds of tools and parts plus 5K lbs generator hooked on the back and still pulled without any issues so the power is definitely there, plus using Toyota engine makes a lot easier swap.:cheers:

1HDT/FT, its seriously hard to go past them these days with the mods and support.

Tons of personal opinions here. Both motors are great for their own reasons. Tundra v8 keeps it toyota plus, they are pretty cheap and available.

Diesel engines have their advantages too, I'd go diesel and I'd go cummins. I am going cummins. They are affordable, readily available and easy to work on. Then, we can debate if you like the 4bt vs the 6bt......

http://www.youtube.com/user/JonesysAutoClub/videos

If you like diesels in other vehicles, then go diesel. If not, go V8. :cheers:

2005-2009 4.7L engine produces enough of power and if you perform your PM's on time you don't have to worry about the timing belt. I had a 2006 tundra that was always fully loaded with at least 1000 pounds of tools and parts plus 5K lbs generator hooked on the back and still pulled without any issues so the power is definitely there, plus using Toyota engine makes a lot easier swap.:cheers:

nah.

4.7l motors and a matching trans are not cheap. there is a very specific year model you need to work with the 80 series t-case.

and any of the vortec LSx based motors will blow the 4.7l out of the water. hardly a reason to 'keep it toyota'.

nah.

4.7l motors and a matching trans are not cheap. there is a very specific year model you need to work with the 80 series t-case.

and any of the vortec LSx based motors will blow the 4.7l out of the water. hardly a reason to 'keep it toyota'.
x2. Just because the motor says Toyota on it does not make it an easier swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom