Engine heat makin' me sweat while driving... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have this problem…in the summer months, driving my truck, the amount of heat coming from the engine through the fire wall is, well, hot. I don't have any carpeting or matting or anything blocking the heat. Just the metal of the truck…Nothing on the hump, either. I'm thinking, sure, some carpeting or matting will help on the hump and floor but up the cowl/firewall, what can be done there? Is this a common issue?

Cheers...

Mine got so hot this year, it decided to molt:

img_3987-jpg.1268746

And I didn't mind at all.....:hillbilly:

Anyone have this problem…in the summer months, driving my truck, the amount of heat coming from the engine through the fire wall is, well, hot. I don't have any carpeting or matting or anything blocking the heat. Just the metal of the truck…Nothing on the hump, either. I'm thinking, sure, some carpeting or matting will help on the hump and floor but up the cowl/firewall, what can be done there? Is this a common issue?

Cheers...
I decided to wrap the exhaust pipe with Thermo wrap starting at the exhaust manifold to right past the Bend in the firewall were it turns into the flood board.it helped but I heard it will rust out my exhaust pipe if it's not stainless stee.but honestly I think the majority of my heat is coming from the heater core itself I need to dig up something completely bypass the heater core in the summer. I think the valves thTvtbsy sell for this still allow some water to circulate through the heater core.

This is. Ot the best picture but it's All I have

Last edited:
I decided to wrap the exhaust pipe with Thermo wrap starting at the exhaust manifold to right past the Bend in the firewall were it turns into the flood board.it helped but I heard it will rust out my exhaust pipe if it's not stainless stee.but honestly I think the majority of my heat is coming from the heater core itself I need to dig up something completely bypass the heater core in the summer. I think the valves thTvtbsy sell for this still allow some water to circulate through the heater core.

This is. Ot the best picture but it's All I have

That's funny, because of course in the winter that heater core seems to turn into an air conditioner. I don't actually have my heater core in at the moment. But yeah, the exhaust pipe, that might be a good idea. Why would it rust? The heat would surely drive out any moisture. But I have headers (I guess you don't?) and I don't see how wrapping them would be an easy task. I thought of painting the inside of the engine compartment with some insulating material…but I'm afraid I would regret it come time to do any work in that area.

Search is your friend! Here is a good discussion around heat mitigation including some interesting heat data/temp info:

Heat mitigation in the cab
Thanks, ginmtd. You're right. I got lazy with that question. My question is real but I wanted to post it so I could talk about Cruisers! "Search" is lonely.

That's funny, because of course in the winter that heater core seems to turn into an air conditioner. I don't actually have my heater core in at the moment. But yeah, the exhaust pipe, that might be a good idea. Why would it rust? The heat would surely drive out any moisture. But I have headers (I guess you don't?) and I don't see how wrapping them would be an easy task. I thought of painting the inside of the engine compartment with some insulating material…but I'm afraid I would regret it come time to do any work in that area.
You would definitely won't to make room to work if you were going to try and wrap them on the truck.but the fj40 header is fairly spacious. its a pain in the butt but it can be done.just Google header Thermo warp images and check it out. If you decide to try it they make different Widths.c choose the one that looks like it will be the easiest to work and make sure to were long a sleeve shirt.you fooling with insulation and you will get very itchy.

The exhaust WILL rust, if you wrap it in something that will not allow moisture to escape(quickly--before the metal cools). Even at that, the wrap will 'wick' moisture from the surrounding ambient air-putting it right up against a just heated metal pipe. Soon you will have an "insulation exhaust"--no metal, just the insulation.
I would think the best bet is to use heat shields(metal(not stainless) plates) that can deflect infrared radiation,(all those shiny films work ok for visible light, but not the longer wavelength infrared) with air spaces between them and the heat source, so the fan(or airflow from driving) will dissipate or 'wash away' the heat.

BTW-that is a nice looking Cruiser!
my .02

My '77 40 has a big hole (1 1/2") near the top of the firewall right behind the carb, that has a cable going thru it. There's enuf room to get two or more fingers thru it, and it seems to be a direct path for hot air to enter behind the dash. Soooo... I found a thick grommet that fit the cable, and plugged it up perfectly.

I did some exhaust wrap and then used Lizard Skin and it helped cut down on the in the cab heat a lot. I plan to make some carpet matts that snap in and out for even more heat reduction.

Remember it's a 45 year old truck, designed 15 years prior to that.
Learn to live with it's short comings, and enjoy driving a rig that is classic, unique, and frankly, bad ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom