engine health after sitting for a while (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
My 2f has 65k original miles and school has kept me away from taking care of it as I should in the past 6 months. Basically Im lookin for the rundown of what problems can arise with having it sit for so long without being ran. Any advice on avoiding damage come time to starting her up again?

Thanks

-Chase

initial start up after sitting is when you will fry it.
but 6 months , hell , pull coil wire , crank er over a few times , reconnect and run it...

Mine has a bad EGR valve and I had only started it once since September. It sat through a Fairbanks winter with no winterizing whatsoever. Heck, I think I even forgot to mix the coolant to the right mixture to prevent freezing.

I put a ball of tape into the EGR line, did the 'cheap oil filter as a funnel into the bearings' trick, swapped in a new battery, and it started right up. Ran better than when I parked it.

Though, I haven't tried it on the road yet. Gotta get the front end rebuilt/replaced first.

Mine was sitting outside partly uncovered , open header, carb covered with a rag in Port Orchard Wa. and on concrete for a couple of years. payed $400 incluuding trans. Put it the truck 3 years ago.

Started out with seafoam treatment after fire up, burnt min oil for about a year, went to Mobil 1 15/50 a year ago, have not changed it in about 8000 miles and running better than ever today.

Has not burned any oil in that time. Does have some crankcase pressure but a real strong engine.

You should have no problem with 6 mo. These are some tough engines.

Do what Mark W suggested in the latest trails, take the filter off and pour some oil down the filter ports. You could buy a new filter and cut the bottom off the old one and remove the guts. Screw it on and fill it with 1/2 quart or so of oil. Go away for an hour or so and come back and PUT THE NEW FILTER ON! Otherwise it'll make a mess. That will prime the pump.

Maybe put some new gas in too. It won't have been good for the carb sitting that long too. The accel pump might leak now (or worse than before).

PabloCruise said:
Do you speak from experience? :D

How are things up North? Did you guys get those beadlocks to stay together? That was great fun meeting you guys in Moab...

No, but sounds like something that I'd do, just trying to make it very clear. I haven't even tried that trick yet. The bead locks are holding up as far as I know. Moab was a blast. I haven't wheeled since then and I'm starting to itch. :bounce: :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom