Engine gasket sets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a few websites to order an engine gasket set (need head gasket, valve cover, valve stem seals, intake & exhaust, etc), specifically fjparts.com and sor.com, and want to make certain I'm getting the right set and the best value. My 1969 FJ40 has the F145 (single-barrel) engine, so am I correct to order the 1968-9/73 set? Any suggestions for other sources, whose is best or who to stay away from?

I searched all over for OEM gaskets for my 72 engine; no luck. I purchased a full engine gasket set from CCOT for about $100. What I got looked nothing like the photo on the web site, but fit perfectly. The quality of the head gasket is nothing like the OEM but after a year is holding up just fine. The photo, (CCOT) I noticed has been updated and now shows the kit I got and the cost is under $90. I purchased the exact same set from Cruiser Corps for under $70 just to have spare on hand.

Anyone else care to share their good or bad experiences?

I used Fel-Pro gaskets on my 2F. I've had no issues. I've always used Fel-Pro gaskets on all my engines. A real bonus is I can call and order them and pick them up on my way home from work. Only a days wait and no shipping. I think I gave somewhere around 85 or 90 bucks for them.

You could call Mark at Mark's off road. I believe he pieces together the best of each individual gasket. He's got a min order, though, of $75, for shipping.

marksoffroad.net

Burbank
818-953-9230

Thanks, Kayaker. CCOT has a set for $80
http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/headgasketset.html
and cruiser corps has a more inclusive set -- they call it an overhaul set -- for $65
http://www.cruisercorps.com/engine/gaskets/engine-gasket-set-1968-8-1974.html

I'm wondering if this is a case of "you get what you pay for?"

I purchase both of these gasket sets (the one from CCOT and the one from Cruiser Corps) and they are, despite the photo, identical. So, in this case, no - you only pay more or less for the same thing.

I purchased the one from CCOT first, then when it arrived and looked just like the photo on the Cruiser Corps website, I ordered that one too because, at the time, it was $35 less and I thought it would be good to have the spare set (since it has the manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets which I've had to change more frequently). So, if you go that route, I recommend you deal with Cruiser Corps since their price is better and you'll get what you see in the web photo.

I purchase both of these gasket sets (the one from CCOT and the one from Cruiser Corps) and they are, despite the photo, identical. So, in this case, no - you only pay more or less for the same thing.

I purchased the one from CCOT first, then when it arrived and looked just like the photo on the Cruiser Corps website, I ordered that one too because, at the time, it was $35 less and I thought it would be good to have the spare set (since it has the manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets which I've had to change more frequently). So, if you go that route, I recommend you deal with Cruiser Corps since their price is better and you'll get what you see in the web photo.

Wow, that's great to know. I'll be ordering the set today. Thanks!

Thanks, watergoblin and Spike Strip. I appreciate the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom