Engine fuse blows everytime (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Put a new transmission in the LC over the weekend. Got in to start it up last night and test my work and on the first turn of the key the ENG fuse blew. Checked all my electrical connections to the trans and tc and they are all pluged in and it does not appear that you can plug the wrong ones together [due to shape].

After checking all my connections I tried again and "pop" goes the fuse. I'm at a loss I did not mess with anything other than the trans and tc. just seeing if anyone has had an issue of this nature or any good ideas on where to start.

There is a ground strap on the back of the tc [where the rear drive shaft meets] that goes up to the floor. I may not have put this back in the correct place on the tc. if anyone can shoot me a photo that would be great so i can rule that out.

As best I could i looked down along the firewall and dont see anyting pincehed on broken.

on a side note: this had not been an issued before, but while under the vehicle i noticed there are on 02 sensors they are not in the pipe and they have been unpluged from the harness. how worried sould I be about them miss.

Thanks for your help.

I would start off by unplugging all the connectors which were messed with, then try to turn the truck on again. If the fuse blows, then you must of pinched something somewhere. If it doesn't blow, start plugging each connector back together until you find the one which is causing the short. Work backwards from there.

i'll echo the pinched wire sentiment...check all around the bellhousing area and see if a wire got stuck in there somewhere.

I pulled a tranny to do some things to it and probably messed with all of the same connections you did. I also chased a popping fuse issue....for weeks after that project....until one day I looked behind the engine. There is a massive bundle of wires that travel directly behind the engine, you can see it from the top side. One of the wires in that bundle was shorting on the head and popping the fuse.

I pulled that wire out as far as I safely could, taped it up, stufed it back in the bundle, wire tied the bundle to the firewall, and all has been good for 30k plus.

Maybe a little too simple for this problem, but I would feel bad if I didn't share this story.

Good Luck!

I am betting it is your O2 sensor wiring. Double check all that and make sure you don't have a bare spot somewhere. That dang wire has caused much grief at my house!

now the trans is leaking

Well, several of you were dead on the money. It was indeed the wires running to the O2 sensor. At the top of the bell housing the wire was picnhed. I was able to free it and tape it off and now all is well with that issue.

However after get the trans all buttoned up I took the LC down the road and back only to find trans fluid dripping of the front of the bell housing :crybaby:. I'm guessing the front seal is bad in the junk yard transmission I bought.

Guess it's all coming out again:bang:.

I had a lose trans colant line also and found that the fitting is striped. I was hoping this was allowing air into the system and causing the leak out of the front, but I'm sure that is wishful thinking.

ROUND TWO!!!!!!!!!!

tyecop15; it would be great if you could take a bunch of photos documenting the procedure to RR the tranny.

However after get the trans all buttoned up I took the LC down the road and back only to find trans fluid dripping of the front of the bell housing :crybaby:. I'm guessing the front seal is bad in the junk yard transmission I bought.

Guess it's all coming out again:bang:.

I had a lose trans colant line also and found that the fitting is striped. I was hoping this was allowing air into the system and causing the leak out of the front, but I'm sure that is wishful thinking.

ROUND TWO!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure it's not something obvious like the dipstick tube not seated all the way in? Have you looked through the inspection hole at the bottom of the bellhousing? Is this where the fluid is coming from?

If the front seal was bad previously, I think you would've noticed red streaks inside the bellhousing when you swapped out the torque converter. I'd hate for you to go through all the trouble of dropping the tranny only to find out something really obvious was missed.

How does she drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom