1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine flooding, no start

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by LuvenMud15, Jul 23, 2005.

1. LuvenMud15

LuvenMud15

Hey guys,
    I have an 87 FJ60, and whenever I try to start it, it doesnt turn over. And after awhile it starts smelling like gas. At first I thought it was the carb, but I got that rebuilt and it still doesnt work. Sometimes if i keep trying for a long time it'll start but a huge puff of smoke comes out of the tail pipe that smells like gas. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. mongoman

mongoman

no-cost fix's

I read your your previous message on the same topic ,and I own a 87/2F....hold the throttle to the floor and crank,do not pump throttle, Is your cooling fan working properly? What is the level of fuel in the carb sight window?........another idea is look at ignition system..how is the condition of the spark plugs? Are you getting a strong '' blue'' spark? What about the condition of the wires? After extened cranking pull one of the spark plugs and confirm that they are either dry /wet? and are theycarboned fouled or not Is the choke working properly?Get back to us and we'll helpif we can :idea:

3. LuvenMud15

LuvenMud15

thanks for your reply...

its weird cuz everything is new, I just got a new engine and a new carb... and i worked on it for an hour and a half the other day, and everything was fine. Its just getting to much fuel... its running real rich, im about to take it to a mechanic tomorrow.
    thanks for your help!
    mark