Engine/fan not parallel to radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched around and can't find my answer. I am doing several things to my 1973 40 right now. Part of it entailed swapping in a 4 speed tranny. Also had all the bib and radiator off for power steering and water pump swap to the newer fan clutch style. During this process I also changed out the original 1F round motor mounts with a new set from SOR, both the front and the rear bellhousing mounts. Things looked fine until I sat the radiator back in and the fan and such. The engine is sitting really crooked in the bay towards the drivers side. Like up to 1/2 inch unparallel to the radiator. I can slide the radiator support back and forth a bit, but then it appears to be off compared to the frame and eventual bib alignment.

I don't recall the old fan running that crooked. I noticed it several days ago, and loosened all the mounts back up and picked the engine a bit with the hoist. I pryed on the drivers front engine mount but it mostly just sprung back a lot. I also pryed over the rear passenger mount and donuts, but the bolts are beginning to lean in those a bit. I thought I gained a little then, but doing some more fitting last night with radiator and fan it still seems pretty wonky.

Am I just crazy, or does the fan usually run pretty straight against the radiator. I was thinking it was factory pumpkin offset, but it just seems wrong. Any thoughts anybody? I'm going to loosen it all up again tonight maybe and see if I can get a jack in there. When I pick it up, the offset of the engine hooks makes it tilt I noticed, makes it worse.

The motors in our 40s are offset to the ds from the factory so dont worry about it.

D

Sure they are offset, but are they crooked, should the fan run parallel to the radiator or not???? My engine looks good vertically too, nice and straight up and down, top of valve cover is flat, no slant. It is just a tad sideways front to back.

My main concern is that one side of the fan flexing out into the radiator.

No slant of your engine toward the firewall?? I don't think I've ever seen a 40 with the engine sitting exactly level. Both my '79 and my son's '77 have a very definite slant back. In response to your question, the engine should not be canted sideways to any noticeable degree. Designers of driveshafts DO like a little offset from an engineering standpoint.

my 2F with the 4 spd transmission also was not perfectly parallel to the radiator - I didn't worry about it since the truck ran just fine :meh:

If youre worried there is a little adjustment at the rad support, if its not enough oblong the holes a bit and get it where you need it.

D

DougAustinTx, yes it does slant backwards, that is normal, I know, and yes that does make the fan unparallel to the radiator vertically.

I put a jack on the front corner of the engine against the shock tower and gave it a little nudge, helped a little more. I'm thinking I just never noticed it before with old smaller fan. There is not anywhere else I can slide it over. So it will have to work. I pulled the radiator support all the way forward, hopefully the bib will fit oaky still.

Thanks for the help guys, it just seemed too skewed, but must be alright.

I noticed the same thing when putting the 3fe in my truck (also a 73), had a devil of a time getting it to sit parallel to the frame. If I recall the passenger side of the fan was closer to the radiator, is that what you are seeing? I ended up slotting the motor mount on the fram a little to get things to line up. I used the transmission crossmember under the 5 spd so I didn't have to deal with the bellhousing ears. I personally think it sits crooked from the factory.

Yes, I'm seeing it closer on the passenger side, must just be crooked. Must be to clear the giant front diff.

you will likely have to make a custom shroud or run without a shroud - which is how my truck came

Well I'm looking for a 2F shroud, and the 3.0L V6 pickup fan should be the right diameter. It should also fit the fan clutch and has minimal forward projection. Otherwise I've thought about just cutting the blades down on a FJ60 fan, but that may not work well.

Probably just go with some used parts I've found, tired of tracking down cheap parts, sometimes it easier to just lay out the cash and get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom