1997 FZJ80 Rehabilitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
OMFG!

I would be rid of that radiator in a heartbeat!
Haha, keep your shirt on. It's been patched for over a year and functions just fine. Clearly needs replacement but the cruiser isn't our primary vehicle and money was tight at the time.

Having experienced the "Exploding radiator" first-hand, you are on borrowed time. There's no limping it home from anywhere when that happens.

Fortunately, mine happened 14 miles from home and I called my son to tow me home.

I've done most of your list under the hood to mine because they were all in need. When the radiator exploded, it bumped my schedule up a BUNCH, then I did the under hood stuff, then the axles.

Fortunately, I was already in process of gathering parts and my PO already did the HG at 145K (I bought it at 196K). However, a lot of the old hoses were reused.

I took me a month to gather parts, then two VERY full weekends and every night in between, to go through the complete cooling system, the VC, Distributor, ignition system, then front and rear axles and all brakes.

Make a list, prioritize, and do it based on need. Just FYI, including tires, rotors, calipers, radiator, all hoses, gasket, I installed about $6000 worth of parts 6 years ago. I did all the work myself (and my then 12 YO son...). Since then, I DD my truck about 15K to 20K per year and all I do is oil changes, tire rotations, and belts. I have put on 80K since all the rebuild and I'm finally getting to the point I need to start looking at another round of big maintenance. (I drove it for a little over 2 years before I did all the big stuff.)

Once I pulled the radiator, then everything under the hood became important because it's easier to get to. If you are CONFIDENT that the head gasket has never been changed, then, yes, you may consider it. With all the other systems improvements you are getting ready to do, you will see better vacuum and higher cooling pressures, o it may justify doing it.

Good Luck!!!

But change your radiator.....

get rid of the crispy vacuum tubes, buy some bulk in different IDs and just reuse whatever clamp doesn't fall apart..
That nice clamp on your steering hose is the type you want for all the new radiator hoses you'll need. Don't waste your time trying to find an OEM charcoal canister, go with the one from Vato Zone, your lines connecting to the top look very large, make sure your inside diameter is the stock spec. Does it have an OEM air filter? if not, toss what you find and start with a fresh Toyota one and check the bottom lint trap for a pile of muck and sticks.
Valve cover doesn't look anywhere as bad as the radiator. that looks hideous.

change out all the fluids for original, i bet it runs fine for another decade. toss on a new gas cap and put the Cats back in as generics...

sure, we'd all love to do a HG job, but like others have said, if it's not puking white smoke and a list of other problems, then just let it run. My speedo cable looked like that too, didnt affect how it ran...just looked bad is all.

I'm well aware that it needs attention. Hence the thread...
Having experienced the "Exploding radiator" first-hand, you are on borrowed time. There's no limping it home from anywhere when that happens.

Fortunately, mine happened 14 miles from home and I called my son to tow me home.

I've done most of your list under the hood to mine because they were all in need. When the radiator exploded, it bumped my schedule up a BUNCH, then I did the under hood stuff, then the axles.

Fortunately, I was already in process of gathering parts and my PO already did the HG at 145K (I bought it at 196K). However, a lot of the old hoses were reused.

I took me a month to gather parts, then two VERY full weekends and every night in between, to go through the complete cooling system, the VC, Distributor, ignition system, then front and rear axles and all brakes.

Make a list, prioritize, and do it based on need. Just FYI, including tires, rotors, calipers, radiator, all hoses, gasket, I installed about $6000 worth of parts 6 years ago. I did all the work myself (and my then 12 YO son...). Since then, I DD my truck about 15K to 20K per year and all I do is oil changes, tire rotations, and belts. I have put on 80K since all the rebuild and I'm finally getting to the point I need to start looking at another round of big maintenance. (I drove it for a little over 2 years before I did all the big stuff.)

Once I pulled the radiator, then everything under the hood became important because it's easier to get to. If you are CONFIDENT that the head gasket has never been changed, then, yes, you may consider it. With all the other systems improvements you are getting ready to do, you will see better vacuum and higher cooling pressures, o it may justify doing it.

Good Luck!!!

But change your radiator.....
Nice fine print :flipoff2:

I'm well aware that it needs attention. Hence the thread...

Nice fine print :flipoff2:
I'll see if I can find the thread detailing my list of stuff and the group I did it in, then I'll link it.

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Here's the one I was thinking of....

Yeah I agree that grouping the tasks by accessibility and priority makes sense. I've got to decide how much if this I can get done before my move.

Not sure I follow you...
You plan to use your brain to “reason” your way through your Landcruiser challenges. This, in a time when more and more new members simply want the answer , is gold. It’s amazing how many people are incapable of critical thinking or simply finding a part number on there own.

Do you plan to keep that burrito warmer??? 😁

Last edited:
You plan use your brain to “reason” your way through your Landcruiser challenges. This, in a time when more and more new members simply want the answer is gold. It’s amazing how many people are incapable of critical thinking or simply finding a part number on there own.

Do you plan to keep that burrito warmer??? 😁
Haha yes I think I'm gonna keep it but if I decide otherwise I'll let you know.

This whole situation kinda sucks because I want to just sit down, order everything, tear the truck down, and rebuild it. But the reality of needing to move and also not floating in money means the process will be less than ideal.

Do you think it would be a stretch to do everything I listed in about three weekends IF I had everything on hand?

Last edited:
This whole situation kinda sucks because I want to just sit down, order everything, tear the truck down, and rebuild it. But the reality of needing to move and also not floating in money means the process will be less than ideal.

Do you think it would be a stretch to do everything I listed in about three weekends IF I had everything on hand?
That’s a tall order and completing the list in three weeks would depend on your ability, tool kit, facility and actually having every single part you need so that waiting on orders doesn’t happen, which is never the case, we always find that once we are in up to our necks we need things that we were not expecting to need.

Is the truck not operational right now? If this list is more of a wishlist than stuff that has to be done in order to drive it, then it’s time to prioritize. The cooling system and phh is probably your highest priority right there with any issue that’s actually stopping the vehicle from being used at this moment followed by 100 pumps of Valvoline Palladium moly grease into each knuckle. If that radiator decides to let loose and you overheat the engine, that head gasket job may just ascend to the top of your list.

If it is broke don’t fix it until the time and $$$ is abundant and you’ve done your homework.

That’s a tall order and completing the list in three weeks would depend on your ability, tool kit, facility and actually having every single part you need so that waiting on orders doesn’t happen, which is never the case, we always find that once we are in up to our necks we need things that we were not expecting to need.

Is the truck not operational right now? If this list is more of a wishlist than stuff that has to be done in order to drive it, then it’s time to prioritize. The cooling system and phh is probably your highest priority right there with any issue that’s actually stopping the vehicle from being used at this moment followed by 100 pumps of Valvoline Palladium moly grease into each knuckle. If that radiator decides to let loose and you overheat the engine, that head gasket job may just ascend to the top of your list.

If it is broke don’t fix it until the time and $$$ is abundant and you’ve done your homework.

Sounds like I might just replace the radiator, add new coolant, and call it good until I get where I'm going.

Like was said above, replace all vacuum lines, I see a bunch of cracks in them which can lead to a PO401 code...

Its already been said but I think it bears repeating. That heater control valve is a ticking time bomb. Bump that job up on your list.

Also what's with the pizza box? Was this thing a dominoes delivery truck in the past?

Ok so thread update:

I'm not moving as soon as I thought, how soon remains to be seen. I went ahead and replaced the radiator with a brand new OEM unit. Got hoses, heater valve, and T-stat from Wit's End. All of it is in the truck and she's workin' just fine. I also put new drive belts on while I was in there. Feel a little bit better about my chances of the radiator exploding...

20200523_134446.jpg

20200525_081308.jpg

I also discovered that after I refilled the system with distilled water the truck wouldn't crank... so I had the battery tested. Tested m'eh so replaced it with a brand new AGM. Still nothing. Did some homework and replaced the fusible link. Nothing. Tested positive cable to starter, 12-ish volts. Thought, "Ah-hah!". Pulled the starter and bench tested it - ran like a scalded dog. Back to square one. Reinstalled and still nothing. Checked for power to starter again - looked good. Wiggled connector on top of starter while the wife cranked her - fired right up. Loose connection. FINALLY. Wasn't sure if I was more relived or annoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom