Engine dies, then codes misfires on all 8 cylinders - HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys - longtime lurker here, picked up tons of useful info, and I thank you all, but this gas me stumped.

My '98 Cruiser with 296k has been the best vehicle I've ever owned, but lately has stalled on me several times and I don't know why...
Twice with me driving it simply died at idle - once after coming to a stop and once when backing out of a parking space with no throttle.
It immediately restarts fine - with the CEL lit - and runs without issue.
UltraGauge shows the P0300, plus 01-08 - misfires on all 8 cylinders.
I replaced the plugs & coil packs in 2017 as a 250k PM, and surely they can't all be bad at once...
What kind of wiring issue could cause this?
Vacuum leak maybe? But it runs fine under load & makes full power with no stumbles...
Cam or crank position wouldn't do this without showing their own codes, I'm assuming.

Probably unrelated but I'll mention it - I'm chasing a P0125 coolant temp sensor code as well. I replaced the sensor once with an aftermarket, but it came back a month later. Have oem sensor in garage, waiting on thermostat and o-ring.

Any help appreciated!

My first guess is crank sensor wires.

My first guess is crank sensor wires.

What @Mauser says - I'll go with either 'Cam or crank position' also - my CPS never threw a code and tested fine when tested. Replaced CPS and fired right up and hasn't died since....I had the all 8 misfire codes, too. Of course, it could be something else....

Last edited:
What @Mauser says - I'll go with either 'Cam or crank position' also - my CPS never threw a code and tested fine when tested. Replaced CAM and fired right up and hasn't died since....I had the all 8 misfire codes, too. Of course, it could be something else....
Thanks guys!
Think I'll replace both, and see what happens.

i had the same issue and didn't show any codes; replaced cam shaft position and crank shaft position, cleaned TB, replaced fuel pump

works as new now.

i had the same issue and didn't show any codes; replaced cam shaft position and crank shaft position, cleaned TB, replaced fuel pump

works as new now.
I have read here that certain years had weak fuel pumps - any issues with the '98s?
At almost 300k, I'm sure its in the autumn of it's life...

it's a 20+ year old car; this is where land cruisers get expensive.

Thanks again for the help - it was the crank sensor.

After a particularly rough-running drive, it refused to start at all. The bolt holding the crank sensor in had actually rattled out somewhere and the sensor was slowly backing itself out. Was 1/8" backed out already. Went ahead and replaced it with the new one and she fired right up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom