Engine dies after temp is up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help!!!! I am having trouble with the engine flooding and dumping raw gas after it heats up. I have replaced pcv only because the truck would not die if the vent line was unplugged. I have replace the fuel pressure regulator still the same issue. I have all the o2 sensors to replace in the next few days. When it happens the only codes are misfire on multi cylinders. The check engine light is on but it is for the o2 sensors.

Possible after going into closed loop a bad O2 sensor is causing full rich condition. Do you a have a scan tool that will show the values on the O2 sensors while it is running? Can monitor and see what changes once it goes into closed loop (warm) Also watch the temp sensor and confirm that reading is correct.

Ok o2 sensors are in started running great. The check engine light came back on a few mins later. It show that I’m running rich on bank one.

Ok o2 sensors are in started running great. The check engine light came back on a few mins later. It show that I’m running rich on bank one.
With the original running very rich issue you could have fuel in the oil, a fouled plug in the #1 bank, very dirty air filter, fuel injector leaking, low compression etc. Your bank 1 rich indicates that the O2 sensor in bank 1 is trying to lean out the mixture but is still running rich. If the oil smells like gas change the oil then drive for 30 plus miles and see if the code clears. Do you two or four O2 sensors? What year is the engine? Also make sure the coolant is full. Temp sensor has to have coolant to work correctly. Bad temp data can cause drivability issues. The dash gauge may not use the same sensor so don't rely on that. My hunch is that the oil is fuel saturated from running rich. Good luck.

post a picture of your engine bay

929DE012-7286-4854-8995-C5E6E09E2EF7.jpeg

With the original running very rich issue you could have fuel in the oil, a fouled plug in the #1 bank, very dirty air filter, fuel injector leaking, low compression etc. Your bank 1 rich indicates that the O2 sensor in bank 1 is trying to lean out the mixture but is still running rich. If the oil smells like gas change the oil then drive for 30 plus miles and see if the code clears. Do you two or four O2 sensors? What year is the engine? Also make sure the coolant is full. Temp sensor has to have coolant to work correctly. Bad temp data can cause drivability issues. The dash gauge may not use the same sensor so don't rely on that. My hunch is that the oil is fuel saturated from running rich. Good luck.
It’s a 98 model with 4 o2 sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom