Engine cutting out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
Two days ago the engine started cutting out, like there was a sudden interruption in the flow of fuel. It only lasts a second or two, and then it runs fine. It will do this 3-5 times in a mile.

I replaced the fuel filter..no change. Fuel pump is brand new (but not OEM).

If it's related, the choke doesn't seem to do its job as well as it used to (this problem started a few weeks ago).

Whaddaythink?

You could have crap in your fuel line or an issue with your carb. Does the choke have any effect?

How long has it been since a tune up (plugs, points, timing)?

I had a tune-up less than 7,000 miles ago. The choke (in or out) doesn't affect the problem.

I'll try blowing out the fuel line. What kind of problem with the carb could it be? My mechanical abilities leave something to be desired, but I'd like to try to remedy it before I head to the shop tomorrow.

Take off the cover and look into the carb and see how dirty it is. You might try spraying carb cleaner, but I don't know if that will make any difference. It could be that your carb needs a rebuild or it could be a number of other things.

You could try adjusting your carb mixture screw slightly to see if that makes any difference. You'll want to make it more rich.

Can you describe a little better about how its cutting out. You said it was like not getting enough fuel. Sure its not missing on one cylindar?

To describe better, it's like it runs out of gas for just a second. I feel/hear it about to happen about 02 seconds before it does. Sort of a quick sputter, then the engine SEEMS to quit for a second or less, then surges back. All this happens very quickly.

Tank is 3/4 full.

Try the earth lead from the engine block to the body. Clean all major earth and power leads. I had this same prob on my FJ45 and just resently on my HJ62. May sound funny but it works ;)

also check the coil and/or ignitor, as well(and 1st) as the wiring to/from it,I had almost the same symptoms as you discribed, turn out I had a bad splice in the coil wire where I hooked to the kill switch.

my guess is the problem is electical not fuel related.

does it act light someone just turned the key off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom