Engine cuts out and sputters when leaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zachmartin529

Landcrusher89
Threads
Website
www.zmartinphotography.wixsite.com
Hey Mud!

So I just got back from a round trip to Moab from SoCal for the first time and had a blast. What an awesome place! Though my '89 FJ62 kicked ass, it developed a bizarre problem. When offroad and/or leaning toward the driver's side, the truck will sputter and cough and run like crap. I'd equate it to a carbureted engine starving for fuel but my rig has the 3FE so that makes no sense. It will also show these random symptoms when making "hardish" right turns when street driving. As soon as the truck is perfectly horizontal again in either condition it runs perfect!

Some other info if needed. I recently did a bunch of service on the truck with the last year that's included: new cylinder head and gasket, water pump, repaired/flushed radiator, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, spark plugs. I'm probably missing something but this is a super bizarre issue and I greatly appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

Are you low on gas when this happens? Possible fuel pump issue? Have seen this happen on 62's on a steep incline with minimal fuel in the tank.

Are you low on gas when this happens? Possible fuel pump issue? Have seen this happen on 62's on a steep incline with minimal fuel in the tank.
It happens even with a full tank. At some point on my trip I topped it off a lot, didn't spill any gas at the pump, and I smelled gas in the truck while driving for like half a tank.

Fuel filter is never a bad place to start.

if it only happens when forces are applied to move things to the left you might want to look for a loose connection or chaffed wire. with truck idling try pushing harnesses and wires to the drivers side.

you could have a spark plug wire that’s moving closer to the cylinder head and shorting out causing a misfire.

@Seth S Didn't think of that. I tried rerouting/cleaning up some wires when I put new ignition parts in it. The fuel filter is new. What I do wonder is if there could be some crud in the tank that has recently broke loose or the little sock on the end of the fuel pick-up is suddenly clogged. Ignition wires are an easier place to start so I'll check that out.

Sounds unlikely to be a fuel issue if a full tank makes no difference. Fuel flow issues usually make themselves known when hard accelerating or heavy load etc.

If you haven’t changed the plug wires in a while you might have degraded insulation that on left hand turns allows a wire to get close enough to the head to short out.
With the truck running you can put a long screw driver against the lead and ground to the head and see if you get a stumble.

My 62 stuttered and stalled on me a couple times about a week ago. Full tank. Changed the fuel filter and it seems to be running fine now. Seems too easy but it worked for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom