Engine cut out - highway speed on steep grade - no error codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2007 LX, 170,000mi… was driving up steep grade (3k to 7k feet in 25 miles) on 395 from Bishop to Mammoth area — very hot day 99F. Car was running fine - oil temp and water temp normal. All of a sudden no power - engine just turned off. Pulled over, starter was fine but engine wouldn’t start. Waited 1.5 hours for tow truck, then it started right up. Went to local mechanic -- no error codes when scanned.

Any ideas? Gas pump? Fuel system pressure? Emissions? My local mechanic in Santa Monica suggested going to dealer - if no error codes he’s not sure what to do.

Only thing I can think of is I installed a 1upUSA rack attach 2.0 and had swing away on exhaust side (dumb). There was about 7” between exhaust tip and swing away. The swing away was real hot… it’s not like it was blocking exhaust, but on a steep grade at 70mph maybe it blocked exhaust just enough to make emissions heat up? Seems unlikely but was first time driving with the swing away so thought I’d mention. 400mi later and no issues, but haven’t tried going back up that steep grade.

Any thoughts or wisdom or ideas from anyone!?!?!? Really appreciate it.

2007 LX, 170,000mi… was driving up steep grade (3k to 7k feet in 25 miles) on 395 from Bishop to Mammoth area — very hot day 99F. Car was running fine - oil temp and water temp normal. All of a sudden no power - engine just turned off. Pulled over, starter was fine but engine wouldn’t start. Waited 1.5 hours for tow truck, then it started right up. Went to local mechanic -- no error codes when scanned.

Any ideas? Gas pump? Fuel system pressure? Emissions? My local mechanic in Santa Monica suggested going to dealer - if no error codes he’s not sure what to do.

Only thing I can think of is I installed a 1upUSA rack attach 2.0 and had swing away on exhaust side (dumb). There was about 7” between exhaust tip and swing away. The swing away was real hot… it’s not like it was blocking exhaust, but on a steep grade at 70mph maybe it blocked exhaust just enough to make emissions heat up? Seems unlikely but was first time driving with the swing away so thought I’d mention. 400mi later and no issues, but haven’t tried going back up that steep grade.

Any thoughts or wisdom or ideas from anyone!?!?!? Really appreciate it.
Sounds like you are on the right track. Others have reported similar symptoms and after a bunch of messing around they find it to be the fuel pump. doesn't mean that's what happened in your case but just seems to be a reoccurring theme here.

The heat/emissions/vapor causing it to shut down and not power up again is possible but not likely. Did you open your gas cap at all after it shut down? Any air/fuel pissing out?

Fingers crossed you just need a fuel pump but it'll be a bit of a guessing game.

Maybe a pic of the swingout you are concerned with? I don't think it would matter much.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Others have reported similar symptoms and after a bunch of messing around they find it to be the fuel pump. doesn't mean that's what happened in your case but just seems to be a reoccurring theme here.

The heat/emissions/vapor causing it to shut down and not power up again is possible but not likely. Did you open your gas cap at all after it shut down? Any air/fuel pissing out?

Fingers crossed you just need a fuel pump but it'll be a bit of a guessing game.

Maybe a pic of the swingout you are concerned with? I don't think it would matter much.
Thanks for reply

No air hissing or fuel leak. Didn’t touch gas cap.

Below is pic of hitch — it’s now been moved to non exhaust side but pic gives idea of how close it was (about 7 inches from exhaust). Seems unlikely it would block exhaust only enough on a steep grade (had driven 250 miles before the final climb up the steep grade).

Weird that there were zero error codes. I don’t know what would or wouldn’t throw a code

Just “seems” like either fuel pressure wasn’t enough on the steep grade, << or >> ultra hot temps (99F that day) caused some sort of emissions freak out.

Will report back if I get a specific diagnosis from Lexus dealership…

Seems like doing fuel pump is worth it… fortunately it was a low traffic day and easy to pull over.

4F61E73D-DD8C-46E8-BC5E-7492609C69ED.jpeg

Thanks for reply

No air hissing or fuel leak. Didn’t touch gas cap.

Below is pic of hitch — it’s now been moved to non exhaust side but pic gives idea of how close it was (about 7 inches from exhaust). Seems unlikely it would block exhaust only enough on a steep grade (had driven 250 miles before the final climb up the steep grade).

Weird that there were zero error codes. I don’t know what would or wouldn’t throw a code

Just “seems” like either fuel pressure wasn’t enough on the steep grade, << or >> ultra hot temps (99F that day) caused some sort of emissions freak out.

Will report back if I get a specific diagnosis from Lexus dealership…

Seems like doing fuel pump is worth it… fortunately it was a low traffic day and easy to pull over.

View attachment 3114992
Just a guess but I'd say fuel pump, others have had same issues with no codes and fixed it with a pump. Don't just start throwing parts at it but may be worth swapping in a freshy.

I don't think heat, vapor or anything like that was to blame but could have contributed to the problem

Get a new maf sensor

Number one cause of engine just dying after ascending a long hill on a hot day, in the 06-07. Is a bad fuel pump, which is very common. What happens is, engine runs in high RPM and so does fuel pump. Fuel pump get hot, and resistance in its motor increases. The heat of the day exasperate the situation (resistance). Then as hill crested we let of the gas pedal, engine RPM drops as does fuel pumps RPM. Then fuel pump turns to slow. The reduce fuel flow starve engine of fuel, and so engine dies. We let rest a few minutes until cools a bit, and then generally fire right back up. If you read codes (DTC) before switching off the IG key. We'll sometimes see BK 1 and BK 2 lean DTC pending. Since lean condition did not repeat 3 time, code does not become current, so no CEL.

I replace more fuel pumps on 06-07 than all other years combined.

MAF can cause similar issue. But I know of only one, were this may have been the case. Waiting to hear back from 07 owner now. In this one, we replace fuel pump, and it stalled again. The 07 had aftermarket (Hewitt Block off kit) wires running into MAF. I recommended disconnecting the aftermarket kit, and have yet to hear back in 30 days. So I assume that did the trick, or I should have heard something!.

If a stock MAF is so bad it caused engine to shut down, which I've not seen. I would expect to see a MAF DTC.

Number one cause of engine just dying after ascending a long hill on a hot day, in the 06-07. Is a bad fuel pump, which is very common. What happens is, engine runs in high RPM and so does fuel pump. Fuel pump get hot, and resistance in its motor increases. The heat of the day exasperate the situation (resistance). Then as hill crested we let of the gas pedal, engine RPM drops as does fuel pumps RPM. Then fuel pump turns to slow. The reduce fuel flow starve engine of fuel, and so engine dies. We let rest a few minutes until cools a bit, and then generally fire right back up. If you read codes (DTC) before switching off the IG key. We'll sometimes see BK 1 and BK 2 lean DTC pending. Since lean condition did not repeat 3 time, code does not become current, so no CEL.

I replace more fuel pumps on 06-07 than all other years combined.

MAF can cause similar issue. But I know of only one, were this may have been the case. Waiting to hear back from 07 owner now. In this one, we replace fuel pump, and it stalled again. The 07 had aftermarket (Hewitt Block off kit) wires running into MAF. I recommended disconnecting the aftermarket kit, and have yet to hear back in 30 days. So I assume that did the trick, or I should have heard something!.

If a stock MAF is so bad it caused engine to shut down, which I've not seen. I would expect to see a MAF DTC.
Thanks for this. Amazing. My experience is same as what you wrote: 99F day, had driven 275 miles, in final portion we went from 4K elevation to 7k elevation, and right where engine cut off is right at initial crest of hill. Right when it flattened out is where engine cut. So sounds like swapping in a fresh fuel pump could be worth it.

One follow up question / description: we lost ALL power. No stereo, no dash lights, nothing. Hazard lights worked but I’ll guess those are obviously on a different circuit. Does all power cutting out change possibility of fuel pump?

THANK YOU ALL - amazing help

Thanks for this. Amazing. My experience is same as what you wrote: 99F day, had driven 275 miles, in final portion we went from 4K elevation to 7k elevation, and right where engine cut off is right at initial crest of hill. Right when it flattened out is where engine cut. So sounds like swapping in a fresh fuel pump could be worth it.

One follow up question / description: we lost ALL power. No stereo, no dash lights, nothing. Hazard lights worked but I’ll guess those are obviously on a different circuit. Does all power cutting out change possibility of fuel pump?

THANK YOU ALL - amazing help
As long as key on and battery charge sufficient. Radio should still be working. A bad bad ground, could cut engine and all power. But I'd think hazard would be dead also if that the case. I suppose a weak battery, AC & radio on and try to start. They may go off and hazard work.

When it happened to me, all accessories were off, windows open. I didn't even know engine was dead, until I tried to accelerate. I surmised what had happen and why. It helped I had my scanner hooked up at the time and check for DTC. I'd actually just purchase the rig (07LX named GaryGal) and was driving home, over the continental divide. First dead stick (no power driving) was as I crested Vial pass. If I was correct why engine lost power (fuel pump failed do to resistance), it would happen again at Eisenhower tunnel, on my journey home. It did! Died just as I entered the 1.7 miles long tunnel. Fortunately, East bound I-70 is down hill through Eisenhower. About all I recall is hazard working. I did try to start, while coasting. I lost power one more time, on that trip. It be came very predicable when it would die. Replaced the fuel pump, and it never happened again in 3+ years I've owned it.

Pulled fuel pump, what caught my eye was the ground at top of the assembly. What is this - corrosion of some sort? Bad enough to impact ground signal???
8B4B80E9-8D54-4962-83A1-D33927D2A54A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom