Engine coolant temp sw (A/C cutoff) connector housing and terminals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
I'm trying to resolve this problem:

20220613_075210.jpg

I cannot find a definitive ID for the connector for the sensor (88790-60050). The closest I can get is 90980-10156,

1655135863158.png

but the locating pin inside the housing is on the wrong side and the terminals listed are 6.3 and mine measure, at most, 3-mm.

So, I'm looking for a definitive ID of both the housing and terminals for it. It's marked ND on the seal on the rear of the housing, but that seal doesn't want to peel away and looks like RTV filler to boot.

Toyota offers the connector housings, and a repair wire, which has about 6 inches of wire and crimped terminals. This repair wire is intended to be connected to the harness by using bullet connectors. In addition to adding a length of wire you don't need, if you go this route, you'll also have a gnarly pair of bullet connectors trashing up your harness. While that's prpbably acceptable for a dealership, trying to make money vs. time spent, it's not for me.

I'd much rather re-pin the housing and take the hit of losing 3/8" of wire, and having a harness that looked like it was supposed to look. If, like me, you totally lost most of the connector housings when you unplugged them, you have to replace both the housing and terminals. Even using the repair wire, you have to re-pin the housing, so why not spring for a new one while you're replacing everything else?

The green connector housing (90980-10737) is for the E3 (ECU) temp sensor (88422-35010). For anyone having these problems, Ballenger has a complete kit, including the housing, terminals, and seals.

BTW, the W3 connector housing (90980-11428) (for the 83420-16040 sensor for the dashboard gauge) (at the front of the head) is also available as a kit, from Ballenger, as is the knock sensor connector housing (90980-11166) for the knock sensor (89615-12040). The nice folks at Ballenger even throw in extra terminals and seals! You can't beat those guys.

For everyone who likes pictures:

sensors temp.jpg

...shamelessly stolen from the most excellent visual library of @flintknapper, containing all 80 series components you need to know about.

More housing photos

20220613_091758.jpg

20220613_091843.jpg

Unlike all the other housings I've repaired, this one has no ID number on it anywhere. I'm betting it's under the seal plug at the back.

OK, yesterday was a bad day. This is actually what I should have posted;
1655233504259.png

@jonheld actually found this a while back, but the search function didn't catch it. Google did and that led me here.
It would probably help if you told us the year and country of origin.
There should also be a 5 digit number on the connector housing. If you add a "90980-" before that 5 digit number, you now can order the connector anywhere.
I'm going to guess based on your picture 90980–10184
still looking for the terminals:
1655234561000.png

I'd rather re-pin the connector and not use the repair wire, if at all possible.

UPDATE:
both Toyota and Ballenger say the housings, 90980-10184, are unavailable. Someone's got them, though, because they are on the new engine harnesses, unless those are all being sold as NOS.

UPDATE on the update:
So left to my own devices, I ordered the green connector housing (90980-10737) kit from Ballenger; it should be here today or tomorrow, so that problem is properly resolved.

Since I've had no luck locating the A/C cutoff housing, 90980-10184, I'm going to use the seal from the 90980-10156 housing, which is close to the correct diameter, in the housing I have on the harness (which is still usable). The problem is that I have to destroy the rear plug seal in order to get the old terminals out. Since I couldn't find the terminals, I'm resorting to using the repair wires, 82998-12090, and Napa bullet connectors. I'm hoping the Ballenger crimper forms the bullet connector joint better than my other (cheap) wire stripper /crimpers. I'm going to install those, and seal the rear with some Gorilla high heat glue, to fill in whatever void is left over.

I plan to remove the plastic outer housing and use shrink tubing to seal the connector, so it won't be so large. Not happy about this repair.

Where is the @cruiserdan part magic when you need it?

There's so much science here - great details. It seems unlikely you weren't aware but I'll throw it out anyway. Alot of the 80 series terminals and connectors are Yazaki 090II series and are available from Corsa Tec. I also bought a low level crimper for 090 and it has worked great (and cheaply). It looks like some of the issues you could resolve by cutting the damaged wires, pulling out the rubber seal (without damaging it) stripping the ends and crimping on the new terminals and connectors. Next de pin out of the old housing, and click in the new fresh terms and connectors. It appears your housing is also damaged. I have found Corollas of this era have nearly the same connector housings and wiring components and most are pristine at the junkyard. Corsa may have the housing as well.

How I normally do it is: forget to put on the rubber seal, take everything apart again, then put on the seal, then reassemble backwards, test, blow a fuse, realize you installed the wires backwards, disassemble, reassemble, and the next thing you know you're doing a frame off. HTH

090II Sealed Series Pin Contact - https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=820&category_id=110

There's so much science here - great details. It seems unlikely you weren't aware but I'll throw it out anyway. Alot of the 80 series terminals and connectors are Yazaki 090II series and are available from Corsa Tec. I also bought a low level crimper for 090 and it has worked great (and cheaply). It looks like some of the issues you could resolve by cutting the damaged wires, pulling out the rubber seal (without damaging it) stripping the ends and crimping on the new terminals and connectors. Next de pin out of the old housing, and click in the new fresh terms and connectors. It appears your housing is also damaged. I have found Corollas of this era have nearly the same connector housings and wiring components and most are pristine at the junkyard. Corsa may have the housing as well.

How I normally do it is: forget to put on the rubber seal, take everything apart again, then put on the seal, then reassemble backwards, test, blow a fuse, realize you installed the wires backwards, disassemble, reassemble, and the next thing you know you're doing a frame off. HTH

090II Sealed Series Pin Contact - https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=820&category_id=110
I don't know how I missed your response. Great info. I had the impression that most of the sealed connector housings (like the engine compartment and O2 housings, for example) were Sumitomo and the unsealed (all the interior ones) were a mix of Sumitomo and Yazaki. Since the Yazaki 090II terminals are listed as direct exchanges for the Sumitomo TS090, it may just be that the only ones Ive seen are Sumitomo, and both vendors were used depending on the day.

It appears that the housing in question is a Sumitomo 250 series. I'll order one and see if it matches the sensor.
1700144505323.png

Your process is similar to mine, the difference being that you're probably more efficient than me.

Last edited:
Any search gurus out there find the housing part number 90980-10184?
Its used in other applications such as air cleaner filter sensor and Supras. Hard to think it's not sourceable.
See my post above.

It's not at all unbelievable that it may not be available. Some of the most failure prone parts aren't and the ones which never fail are still available.

You can still get all the parts for the front and rear bumpers, but one of the bolts holding the rear bumper extensions onto the frame isn't available and there are no substitutes. Same for the outside mirrors. You can get the EGR parts on the hot side of the intake, but not the sensor that supplies the signal to the ECM; and it goes on and on. Go figure.

Something's not right here.
1700144748204.png

Maybe they're listing the terminals as male and female and not the connector housings, but 90980-10157 isn't the correct connector housing.
1700144863810.png

But it's right next to the correct one! For whatever that's worth. More sleuthing required. Please stand by.

Dagnabbit!
1700145452043.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom